Austin Homebrew Budget IPA Recommened Tweaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Just ordered the AHB budget IPA and was wondering if anyone has tweaked the recipe for this with success. Haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you the ingredients as is.

Was thinking about using some of my homegrown cascade toward the end of the boil and maybe upping the dry hops.

Check out the reviews on the AHS site, there are some comments on suggested mods. I am going to wing by and pick this one up today, I need to turn a quick batch around for an event in January.

So I ended up taking a closer look at the included hops in this kit and decided (with the help of the fine folks at my LHBS) to change some things up.

The recipe included with the kit used 1 oz magnum (60 min), 1 oz cluster (15 min), 1/2 oz galena (5 min) and 1/2 oz galena (dry hop). There were changes made by hand, however, on the printed copy I received. I'm guessing the changes were based on them being out of galena, so it ended up using magnum for both aroma and dry hopping.

After doing a bit of research, this hop combo seemed odd for an IPA. So I decided to ditch some of the included hops and use this schedule:
  • 1 oz magnum (60 min)
  • 1/2 oz cascade and 1/2 oz simcoe (15 min)
  • 1/2 oz citra (5 min)
  • 1/2 oz cascade and 1/2 oz citra (dry hop)

Any thoughts on the changes? I'll let you all know how it turns out even though it may not be that useful for those who find this thread after ordering the AHS Budget IPA since mine ended up being so different.

Also, any thoughts on the initial recipe? The folks at the LHBS gave me quite weird looks when I said this was supposed to result in an American-style IPA.

I added 2 ounces of home grown Columbus . 1 ounce at 15 and one at flameout. The keg went really quickly.

Back