Auber RTD probe for TC-9102 temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emprbasist

Reaction score
I am hoping to upgrade to all-electric sometime in the near future, but in the meantime I'd like to use my temperature controller for maintaining my HLT temps with a heat sick. My controller is the Control Products TC-9102, which came with a standard thermistor. They have an RTD probe available as an upgrade but it's ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know if I could use the immersible Auber PT100s sensor with this controller?

Thanks in advance!

In general, an RTD is an RTD. Most commonly used ones around here are 3 wire probes. 2 wire one salso exist, but 3 is probably the most common for us as brewers. (Heck, I think there are crazy 5 wire ones out there).

That controller only wants 2 probe wires connected. You can connect a 3-wire RTD to a device that only has two terminals on it. You just connect both red wires from the probe to the same terminal on the device. The RTD would still work, but you lose some of the accuracy benefits that the additional wire provides.

So, it'll work.

I don't know what benefit you would be getting from the RTD vs the thermistor that came with it, but you should be able to use the RTD if you want.

Thanks for the reply. The main reason I'm considering this particular RTD is because it is fully submersible, and the thermistor is not. I don't have a thermowell currently, so I was planning on just dangling this probe down in my HLT to maintain temps with a heat stick.

Gotcha...

I just noticed something though. That controller says it works with a 1000 Ohm RTD (aka PT1000). All of auber's RTDs are 100 Ohm (PT100), so those will NOT work.

Yea I had high hopes that I could use an Auber Instruments probe with my TC-9102, but they don't work together. If you do happen to find some type of water tight or submersible RTD probe that the TC will take then please post. I could not find one.

However, I have used my TC with a Marshall Town Bucket Heater to do a partial mash. I just hung the probe from a hook over my stove into the center of my grain bag. I spot checked my temps throughout the hour with a hand held, and I stayed within 2 degrees of my mash temp. But it was kind of an awkward setup, so I abandoned the concept, saved some cash and am working on a PID build.

Back