Attenuation Help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Left Hand Milk Stout clone based on the following grain bill:

7 lbs. pale malt
.75 lbs chocolate malt
.75 lbs Munich
.75 lbs crystal 60
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb lactose
10 oz flaked barley
.5 lbs flaked oats

S-05 dry yeast

Mash schedule calls for 75 minutes @ 152

Based on my typical efficiency, I should have an OG in the 1.065 range. I want this beer to finish on the sweeter side (so 1.020 - 1.022), which would be about 69% - 70% attenuation. S-05, in my experience, gets 75% plus attenuation. I have never used lactose powder before, but I know it will add a good amount of unfermentables. Even with that though, I'm concerned about over attenuation. Should I be? What can I do to avoid it?

Mash higher and it will turn out with a lower FG. If you are looking at a FG of 1.022 maybe mash around 155-156

The lactose in totally unfermentable. Find the og/fg without the lactose, then add it back in to the fg. You may be right where you want to be. A mash temp in the range suggested above helps, as does cutting the mash short a bit. Another option is a yeast that attenuates less.

When I want less attenuation I shorten my mash time (conversely I lengthen my mash time when I want higher attenuation). It may take some trial-and-error to figure out on how to adjust your time to get the results you desire.

Latest posts

Back