Atlanta Drivers: You're all a bunch of effing idiots!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
I get it, the counties are stupid enough to close schools because we're going to get an inch of snow, and many of you have to get your kids. That's no excuse for this bullsh!t:

Untitled.jpg

I agree with the title of this post.
All the time.
What's so special about today?

So asks Drom John 75 miles south of Yankeetown, who is posting from home because Macon has shut down, still above freezing.

You all can come out west to Arizona, been 70 plus over the last 20+ days. Just stay to the north in Phoenix please.

It seems Atlant'as traffic woes made the national news! Even had two video features in the Detroit area newspaper. Must suck real bad down there. 10-12 hour backups.

But you see, you have to give them a little respect. They move down there because they at least admit that they are incapable of driving in cold weather. They moved there to get away from it. How can you blame them when it visits them and they all lose their minds?

They've seen snow before - but that layer of ice underneath it didn't help anybody...

that and the gridlock effect of their interstate arrangement..

Southern states don't have enough snowplows, salt, or sand, to make their roads safe in this kind of weather. It's an unusual occurrence. Add the fact that the drivers down there are generally unpracticed in slippery situations (Same as a good portion of the drivers up here at the start of winter...) and you get a mess like that.

Folks here in south Alabama can hardly drive in the rain. You ought to see 'em on a couple of inches of ice! May not get above freezing today so this may last a while longer.
Our solution is to spread red dirt on the bridges and overpasses. Only salt we have is in the Gulf of Mexico.

Southern states don't have enough snowplows, salt, or sand, to make their roads safe in this kind of weather. It's an unusual occurrence. Add the fact that the drivers down there are generally unpracticed in slippery situations (Same as a good portion of the drivers up here at the start of winter...) and you get a mess like that.

Also, a total absence of winter tires.

The infrastructure and lack of salt trucks are hardly the problem. We've had two snow storms in the last 10 years worse than this one, and the traffic wasn't this bad. For some reason, everyone in the entire city decided to panic and leave work as soon as they let schools out. Add to that the fact that this city is full of aggressive, fast drivers that feel they need to drive 15+ over the speed limit no matter what the conditions are, and you're asking for the worst backups in history. The snow started at 11am, the traffic started at noon, and I was on the roads at 4pm. They were definitely still drivable at that time, although you did need to be very careful. I can't tell you how many idiots passed me driving too fast, weaving in and out of traffic. They're the ones that cause the accidents, and if you cause an accident in the snow while every single working person in the city is on the roads, it causes complete chaos.

I can't tell you how many idiots passed me driving too fast, weaving in and out of traffic. They're the ones that cause the accidents, and if you cause an accident in the snow while every single working person in the city is on the roads, it causes complete chaos.

Not always. I was following some dude that was driving severely too slow (20mph in a 55), and he was driving dead center on the road. Not smart.

MC

I am from WI I know about driving in bad weather.
This is a bit different.
Back home in WI when it would snow it was usually below freezing, so the snow would just blow around.
Here it was just at freezing. So the snow would fall then melt then freeze. Thus creating a sheet of ice
I don't care who you are or what super powers you think you have
you are not in control while driving on ice
Moved here from Tomah WI

Yeah….? well, that's exactly what will happen when the zombies come to Atlanta. The Walking Dead proved that!

The infrastructure and lack of salt trucks are hardly the problem. We've had two snow storms in the last 10 years worse than this one, and the traffic wasn't this bad. For some reason, everyone in the entire city decided to panic and leave work as soon as they let schools out. Add to that the fact that this city is full of aggressive, fast drivers that feel they need to drive 15+ over the speed limit no matter what the conditions are, and you're asking for the worst backups in history. The snow started at 11am, the traffic started at noon, and I was on the roads at 4pm. They were definitely still drivable at that time, although you did need to be very careful. I can't tell you how many idiots passed me driving too fast, weaving in and out of traffic. They're the ones that cause the accidents, and if you cause an accident in the snow while every single working person in the city is on the roads, it causes complete chaos.

Yeah….? well, that's exactly what will happen when the zombies come to Atlanta. The Walking Dead proved that!

No sympathy... Still driving on ice from snow that fell over a month ago! It'll be May or June before my driveway is clear

I like hemidoc's theory. A better answer than all the news reports. A bunch of traffic hit the roads and it was all ice.

Here, 12" of snow is God's way of double dog daring you to go to work. You can't back down from that ****.

On the other hand, every year everyone forgets how to drive in the snow the first time it snows and the streets are lined with slide-offs. I think I'd crawl under a rock on a snowy day to avoid everyone else if I lived somewhere it might snow only once a year.

Thats why I take advantage of the first snow days of the year to go to an empty unplowed parking lot and 'practice' driving and stopping on ice. Sometimes there are evasive maneuvers included as well. Best time out was when I was teaching an (then) girlfriend how to handle herself with a police officer watching. He gave permission so long as it was for learning and we didnt have too much fun. She was torrified.

We've had two snow storms in the last 10 years worse than this one, and the traffic wasn't this bad. [...] this city is full of aggressive, fast drivers that feel they need to drive 15+ over the speed limit no matter what the conditions are, and you're asking for the worst backups in history.

I'm confused. Were Atlanta drivers all safe and courteous 10 years ago? Did those aggressive, fast drivers not exist 10 years ago? How could that have been a factor in why this time it was so bad, and the two bigger storms in the past decade were non-events? When did all these fast, aggressive drivers move into Atlanta and why?

I'm confused. Were Atlanta drivers all safe and courteous 10 years ago? Did those aggressive, fast drivers not exist 10 years ago? How could that have been a factor in why this time it was so bad, and the two bigger storms in the past decade were non-events? When did all these fast, aggressive drivers move into Atlanta and why?

Re-read my post with the part that you excluded, and you have your answer. Although, I have seen a major increase in the selfishness and blatant lack of consideration or respect for others. People used to either let you in or just not adjust their driving if you put your blinker on. Now, they do everything they can to keep from letting you in. There are so many people that will slam on their gas to try to keep you from changing lanes, and then honk at you if you come over.

But, again, my point was that there were a number of factors at play, most of which were the drivers, not the conditions. Yes, the conditions were dangerous, but it was the panic, lack of preparation (both on the government and the individual side), and people not adjusting their driving habits to match the conditions that caused the gridlock to the extent that we saw.

I was living in Atlanta in '82 when the city got shut down for 3 days because of 2" of snow. the problem was the temperature would get high enough during the day to melt the snow a little, then low enough to freeze overnight.

big hill on Buford Highway just around the corner from my place had a couple dozen cars and a MARTA bus stuck at the bottom.

meanwhile, my roommates (from Hollywood, MD) and I showed the locals how to bumper ski

Latest posts

Back