Asking for it... But still want opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StusBrew

Reaction score
So, as title suggests, I am asking for it. Here goes!! I'm making a robust porter. Was toying with idea of brewing tomorrow after Mass. So, got yeast starter going. Had washed WYeast 1028 (London Ale) and stored in frig. Washed on March 17th! From a brown porter. Starter took off without hitch. Until I woke up this morning and realized I boiled DME and water and sanitized aluminum foil, etc. But FAILED to sanitize the 2 L Erlenmeyer Flask that I put the yeast starter into! This flask has been sitting in basement, without any covering since I last brewed! A lot of me wants to brew tomorrow and see what happens. There's also that part of me thinking "I don't know what's in the flask that's been open to environment in basement!" I live 20 minutes from anywhere around here. Highly inconvenient to run somewhere after work to get a new Smakcpack. But... So...whatcha all think??? Every 30 minutes I switch back and forth, "I'll brew tomorrow." Then, "I can't let myself do that???"

have any dry yeast on hand?
you could just go with it. if it is infected, your porter will be something like the old traditional ones where they stored it in big wooden vats and it picked up some sourness. but there is a chance that it's fine. you could taste a sample, but I don't know if there would have been enough time for any weird flavors to really be noticeable yet. This is the kind of thing I always buy a spare pack of dry yeast to keep in the fridge. If I screw up the starter, I can still brew.

JimRausch, I've been thinking along same lines. Also, this robust porter I planned. It'll be approximately 6 %. A bit bigger than what I have been brewing. usually let things sit in primary for 2 weeks. Then bottle condition for 2 - 3 weeks. Just not sure with this bigger porter. May be sitting in primary a 3rd week. Saying this starter may act normal, seem normal. But with some time in the carboy or bottle, maybe something will show up. We'll see.
What I realized last night! I have a mash tun that'll hold around 13 pounds of grain and allows me 1.2 - 1.4 qt./lb mashing. The grain I have now is slightly over 17 pounds. I got 2 - 8 gallon buckets. Gotta drill some holes today. With hole rilling, proably ain't time to brew!

Latest posts

Back