Army vet lost 44 pounds only drinking beer for Lent, inspired by monks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was assuming the whole purpose was to see if Old Boy could hang through Lent just like the monks.
Looks like it was doable and something you won't see on most network news. They're too busy yapping about useless political crap almost 24 hours a day.
I like bock and dopplebock, but not enough to make it a spiritual endeavor. That said it's probably a lot more fun than Ramadan, but even then, you can eat real food after sundown.

Well, wife's birthday today, and we had a nice picnic outside. So, oh so skillfully, I dropped the idea in, and got hammered with a torrent of abuse the likes of which I've never seen from my wife and son, and our lab Murphy. (I expected the first two, but my pup?) Health before pleasure. Whoever heard of such a cockamamie idea?:smh:

I dunno. I've seen lots of pictures of those old monks with the beer steins and not one of them looked like they had been losing any weight. Not a one.

Hahahahaha, that's true, isn't it. It would be just a tad weird to see a thin, buff monk pounding doppelbocks all day.

I wonder if he had to have orange juice to ease into eating food again. Like you do in other liquid cleansers

I got a friend who eats breakfast, lunch, and drinks his dinner (usually a 6 pack of beer). dude's in shape and pretty lean lol. I don't know if it's healthy but heck seems to be working for him.

If you have a fast metabolism and a high activity level the beer and calories might not influence your weight but as you get older, it does. What works at 20 doesn't do you any favors at 50, and if you get plenty of water and sleep with the lighter brews you can shrug some of the after effects they might bring.

An all liquid diet is pretty radical, especially if you limit yourself to one or two staple items. It's not something I'd want to try - I like solid food too much.

I tried living off beer for a year...ended up with blood spewing out every orifice...and never lost any weight.

wasn't until i started eating beans, greens, and sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and the like, i lost 90+ pounds....and i didn't have to quit drinking either! :)

44 pounds in 40 days? that would be a deficit of over 3500 a day.....not really believable, i drink ~1800 in alcohol, and burn only 2950

(just had to scroll up to double check the forum, thought it was drunken rambling at first. apologies if this is off-topic)

I got a friend who eats breakfast, lunch, and drinks his dinner (usually a 6 pack of beer). dude's in shape and pretty lean lol. I don't know if it's healthy but heck seems to be working for him.
There's folks at my gym who live on McDonalds and hard liquor. Shredded, but far, far from healthy, and nowhere near as strong or in shape as their physique would suggest (the one who comes to particular mind is especially shameful, to the point of being a joke to many of us).

My suggestion to folks is stop focusing implicitly on the number a scale says. Body fat % is far more useful and better indicative of overall health. My only concern with what the number a scale says is strength to weight ratio (and if I competed, weight class). But if you're not a strength lifter that's also a pointless metric.

To that end, beer is protein, vitamins, carbs, and calories. Body fuel. Although worth noting that most of its calories are from ethanol that aren't readily taken up by the body.

Latest posts

Back