Arg stopper through carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroolingNeoBrewery

Reaction score
So 15 hours into fermenting my blackberry porter (extract) was fine, plenty of room left in the carboy. At 18 hours the yeast went ape-**** and krausen started coming though the little holes in the top of the airlock.

So I quickly wiped the carboy down with isopropyl alcohol and sanitized a tube, stopper and blowoff container.

My stopper was fully sanitized (sani-brew [pink stuff] 30 minutes, then boiling water, Star San is on order). I pushed it just slightly to far and it went all the way through. I tried to pull it out with the tube but only managed to get it part way up the neck.

I tried to get it out with a couple sanitized tools (screw driver, needle nose pliers, etc), but i just pushed it back in (string of explitives).

I don't secondary, I don't think the benefits out way the potential risks (aeration, infection, time and extra equipment, extra sanitizer). I do half batches in 3 gallon fermenters. I normally leave it in the primary for 15-21 days. I think the same rubber used to make the stopper is used to make the seal on Mr. Beer tap, and the tap on my bottling bucket, but I'm not sure if the larger amount of rubber will effect the flavor of this beer.

So where do I go from here?

1) Should I transfer to another fermenter after the krausen falls or leave it be?

2) If i do need to transfer, will a Mr. Beer style fermenter work as a secondary? Or do I need to convince SWMBO I need to buy another carboy?

Latest posts

Back