Are These Faucets Stainless Steel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sport303

Reaction score
Is there a way to confirm that a kegerator tower, shanks, or faucets are stainless steel? I'm looking at several used Perlick 630SS setups listed on Craigslist, but I'm realizing that I'm pretty much taking the seller's word for it.

I was gonna say use a magnet, but that's not going to work if there's brass about.

I don't think Perlick makes the 630 in anything other than stainless.
Also would expect any genuine Perlick tower to be either stainless or brass.
The shanks, who knows...

Cheers!

Thanks. Actually, as I'm looking closer, some of the ones being sold as 630SS have the old script "P" on them instead of the block "P," so I'm guessing that they're misrepresenting the model anyway.

Is there an easy way to tell a stainless Perlick faucet from a chrome plated one if I have physical access to them and they aren't connected to a shank or anything?

Is there an easy way to tell a stainless Perlick faucet from a chrome plated one if I have physical access to them and they aren't connected to a shank or anything?

Not connected to a shank?
Look into the bore, where the shank goes in.

If it's chrome plated, the "plate" will look a little dull within, ( no, a lot dull), because when plated, there is no anode with a line of sight into the bore.
If a well used chrome plated one, look in the delivery end, and search for signs of plating flaking off.

Stainless:, you should be able to see some obvious machining marks within, and the luster of the metal will be similar to the outside, sans the high buff polish job.

Edit: might sound a little funny, but chrome plating will have a "slightly yellowish" hue to it, due to the "nickel strike" plating done over the base metal, ( or copper plating, if used),and the hue can be detected through the chrome plating.

Very obvious, if the two metals of construction are side by side.

Thanks for the info. Picked these 525's up from a local brewpub. I'm planning to replace all the o-rings as they all smell like stale beer. While I'm placing an order from Perlick are there other parts that tend to wear that I should buy? Some of the bearing cups and bonnets are tarnished but I assume that's just a cosmetic issue?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418882519.633489.jpg

Do a visual, and if any "hard parts" look worn, get 'em now!

But O-rings should be all you need, and soak those "cosmetic issue" parts in some good strong detergent / soap, and scrub them up with a brass wire brush.

You can find said brush at a shoe store, known as a "suede" brush, if you don't have another source for one.

Back