Are there parts available for the Agata Bench Cappers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGish

Eternal Tinkerer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought mine less than a year ago and it has capped about 440 bottles. It just cracked along the housing.

JylcRnCh.jpg

9irUQYih.jpg

I did some searching on the web, but haven't found a source for parts. Am I stuck buying a new capper?

If so, what recommendations do you have?

Thanks,
Cody

I would scuff up the surface near the crack, put a clamp on it to close up the gap and smear a bunch of 2 part epoxy over it.

I thought about that, but there are several moving parts inside I don't want epoxied. Looking at the capper, I think maybe I can take it apart and epoxy the pieces then put it back together. From your statement, I take it you are suggesting some extra epoxy on the outside to strengthen that area?

This idea is certainly worth trying.

Thank You,
Cody

I would add a strap to reinforce/tie the broken top to the broken bottom AND use epoxy. Try to tie the strap in place using the bolt that holds the handle on....it appears that is the major stress area...might need to drill a new lower hole.

I would also contact the MFG. or who ever you bought this from...this ain't right and shouldn't happen.

I doubt epoxy is going to hold or hold up, depending on the plastic. There's a lot of momentum on that cracked area, as you noticed.

I'd consider a metal plate plus epoxy. Replace the existing bolts with longer ones and bolt them through the metal. Fill up every space in between the plate and the red housing with epoxy.

From looking at my capper (similar), it looks like a lost cause. But if mine were to break like that, would try to fix it. First drill very small holes along the crack. Be careful and avoid the mechanics. Super glue the crack and clamp it together. It must be a tight fit. Then, sew it together tightly with some thin wire. Them epoxy and add reinforcements.

Thank you to everyone for the input and ideas. I like the idea of a reinforcing strap or wiring, but I ran into a difficulty.

I picked up some epoxy and took this apart yesterday.

Here is what the inside looks like:

MNJpfBrh.jpg

The moving parts makes it a little harder to add a reinforcing strap or wire reinforcement. I went ahead and epoxied the broken parts. Now I have to figure out how to add a strap I can tighten as needed.

A8lPOE0h.jpg

Perhaps a small piece of angle and a large hose clamp to reach from A down around B (where the angle piece would be) and back up to A on the other side.

vI809ayh.jpg

The other option would be to buy a couple clamps of the right length and clamp from A to B on each side. This would make the unit a little more bulky, but I could tighten the clamps as needed.

Anymore good idea?

Thanks,
Cody

I would go with @IslandLizard's idea. Even using plywood, fitted behind the round bell housing, and longer bolts.

When it broke, were some of the caps being used more difficult to seal on the bottles than other caps? I had a bad batch of caps once. One cap was nearly impossible to achieve a crimp.

I would go with @IslandLizard's idea. Even using plywood, fitted behind the round bell housing, and longer bolts.

When it broke, were some of the caps being used more difficult to seal on the bottles than other caps? I had a bad batch of caps once. One cap was nearly impossible to achieve a crimp.

No, I did not notice the caps being more difficult than normal. They look okay and work fine in the hand capper.

The plate idea will work if I add a new hole and bolt at the bottom. It would not take a very thick plate. The bolt for the lever would be the issue, since it is a unique design.

60ZpgKFh.jpg

Perhaps a hardened bolt and lock nut to replace it?

Thanks,
Cody

The bolt looks like a standard connector bolt, with the exception of the flanges on one end to give it a pressure fit. I would guess the reason for the pressure fitting is to keep it from turning loose during use. Medium Thread Loc would also keep it from becoming loose.

The bolt looks like a standard connector bolt, with the exception of the flanges on one end to give it a pressure fit. I would guess the reason for the pressure fitting is to keep it from turning loose during use. Medium Thread Loc would also keep it from becoming loose.

So this style of bolt is available at a regular outlet like a big box or hardware store? I guess I should have looked at the local Lowes before assuming it was unique. If I add a plate, I will need a longer bolt. If not Lowes, maybe Fastenal?

So this style of bolt is available at a regular outlet like a big box or hardware store? I guess I should have looked at the local Lowes before assuming it was unique. If I add a plate, I will need a longer bolt. If not Lowes, maybe Fastenal?

Fastenal is likely to have it. If they don't they will order the length you need.

One other thing to do: drill out the end of the crack with a 1/16" drill (called stop-drilling). That will reduce the shear forces at that point and prevent the crack from spreading.

I dunno if Lowes will have it. But it is a common fastener. Sex bolt, Barrel Bolt, Chicago screw are other common names for it.

Another place to look for them is a local blueprint shop or book bindery supply. These fasteners get used as binders for building plans that are too thick to staple.

Following up on this thread:

Mismost suggested that I contact the seller and ask about the warranty. The peculiarity of the break made the process of inquiry a bit prolonged, but last week Chad at BrewTensils in Dayton sent me an email and told me to come pick up a new unit. I went down Saturday and picked the new one up.

NewCapper.jpg

I thought that was good customer service, and wanted to follow up with the final development on this situation.

Thank you to everyone who participated and offered suggestions.

Cody

Back