Are the horizons for home brewing narrowing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
From the perspective of one who has been home brewing beer (on and off) since the mid 80's, it seems that where once we generally pursued a goal of mastering a broad diversity of worldwide styles, today virtually the only concern for most (particularly younger) home brewers is to pursue the mastering of the West Coast and/or NE IPA styles. Just an observation.

It's hard to master a lot of styles without mastering one first. But really it's whatever floats your boat. I'm not a huge IPA fan so I don't brew many, but to each their own.

I've always said the great thing about home brewing is that you can brew whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want.

It's hard to master a lot of styles without mastering one first. But really it's whatever floats your boat. I'm not a huge IPA fan so I don't brew many, but to each their own.

I've always said the great thing about home brewing is that you can brew whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want.

Right on! :rock:

I like IPAs and my next up will be another. I have not tasted a NEIPA yet that I like so I won't be trying to brew one any time soon. I like many other styles, so I brew them. I have not "mastered" any style yet in 7 3/4 years. There are too many different beers to make to spend too much time on just one. I have 2 that I have worked on, one a pale ale after Long Trail Pale ale which they don't even brew anymore and a Brown Ale that I originally made from leftovers. I have changed it up a little but none have been better than that first one.

I think there is a segment that will only brew the current popular style, and others that only post about those but also brew others.

From the perspective of one who has been home brewing beer (on and off) since the mid 80's, it seems that where once we generally pursued a goal of mastering a broad diversity of worldwide styles, today virtually the only concern for most (particularly younger) home brewers is to pursue the mastering of the West Coast and/or NE IPA styles. Just an observation.
I notice that as well. I'm not particular to either of those. High amounts of hops don't appeal to me. Seems like its become a hoppy cover-up of bad brewing.
As if some is good , more is better, a lot more is... Not for my tastes.
I like to stay in the realm of German style beers , but the Irish has some good contributions.

I haven't "mastered" anything yet and I've been brewing for over 20 years. I've actually narrowed the number of styles that I make with the goal of consistent repeatability. The impetus for this being a cream ale that my friends at work raved about. I made it a second time and they liked it but noticed it wasn't the same. I no longer believe now that being able to make all the styles in the BJCP guidelines means I'm a good brewer. But being able to make one style with consistent repeatability does.

I brew what I want to drink. Can't imagine trying to master Belgians, for instance, as I do not care for them.

Same with Stouts. I'm not a stout person, so mastering that? Not on my list.

I'll offer a different view of this: I think that once you have demonstrated you can master several styles, there should be little difficulty mastering the rest--if you care to. It's all about process, and once you have that down, the rest is fairly easy.

My 2 cents.

Are the horizons for home brewing narrowing?

... it seems that where once we generally pursued a goal of mastering a broad diversity of worldwide styles, today virtually the only concern for most (particularly younger) home brewers is to pursue the mastering of the West Coast and/or NE IPA styles.

If I focus just on current popular topics in forums (AHA, HBT, /r/homebrewing), I will quickly concede that the answer is "yes" - the horizons are narrowing.

But when I look broader (books published in the 2010s, podcasts, long running topics at AHA and HBT), I see numerous new horizons being discussed:
  • Brewing simpler.
  • Brewing quicker.
  • Science of brewing (physical science and manufactured ingredients science).
  • Small batch brewing and 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!
generally with an underlying goal of having fun brewing an enjoyable beer across a variety of styles.

Yep, if my lagering fridge hadn't died, I'd be making Oktoberfest and Pilsners year round, I'm stuck going back to ales full time, so yeah. I usually go through phases where I like to make IPAs, then I'll go through a phase where I make all stouts and porters. Then I'll make session beers and then Imperials Stouts and Imperial IPAs and Barley Wines. Then Hefeweizens and Alt Beers. Then Belgians. Whatever I feel like drinking right now, I'll brew.

If one were to base his/her observation on what is posted on this board then I might be inclined to agree with this. That, however, raises the question: Is HBT truly representative of the American homebrewing community?

I'm not sure that it is. I'm an old guy (a 51 model). I have, however, had a presence on the Interwebs since the early 90s when this remote, rural backwater where my farm is located first got access to the Internet (if you can call 28K dialup "access"; it's gotten a lot faster since then). I have observed, from participating in a number of message boards, that the majority of message board users are not representative of the typical individual who is involved in the <insert hobby/special interest here>. There are a lot of people who are involved in a particular activity who have no interest in any of the online resources which are related to that activity. I base this observation on 25+ years of participation in message boards related to aviation, agriculture, woodworking/carpentry, shooting sports, homebrewing, and probably a couple of other things I can't think of right now. So, all of that said, I would say no, the horizons for homebrewing are not narrowing. This board might give that impression, but I would be willing to bet that the average homebrewer in the US is not cut from the same cloth as the HBT members who are all about the latest Big Thing.

I tend to think things churn rather than really change. Styles will come and go from popularity, but overall the interest in craft beer has made the range of ingredients more and more diverse and available.

The pool is deeper now, so why wouldn't people be more likely to explore?

The hobby is probably pulling the same people it always has. A mixture of Engineers, DIYers, people saving money, and people seeking what they can't get locally.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I was at the So Cal Homebrew Fest a couple of weeks ago, and there were a lot of IPA's, but there was also a lot of other great beers. Of course I prefer malt to hops so I lean towards the Scotish/Irish beers with a smattering of German stuff thrown in for good measure. One of the guys in our club says a cold beer is a good beer. Sometimes I agree. Also, I'm on the cheep side of the ledger and putting $50.00 + hops into 5 gals doesn't make any sense to me. LOL. :mug:

I made a starter today for a Pilsner. I have an American wheat in the frem chamber. Beer before that was a Berliner Weiss. Before that a hefe. A stout was before that.

I think I’ve made one or two IPAs in the last year.

I go by the phrase "to each his/her own."

Honestly, before I started home brewing I was very narrow-minded and was that guy who was just into IPAs from craft breweries (sounds *****ie I know....). But as soon as I started exploring these forums I realized how many other styles of beers I can try thus sparking my interest away from IPAs.

Many IPAs nowadays, at least to me, are just way too over hopped to be able to say you can taste these subtle differences in hops/yeast/etc that most people claim they can taste. I mean I get it - by all means if you like your beer bitter as all hell on a hot summer day more power to ya! I've found to love all these different types of lighter ales, pilsners, Kolsches, wheat beers, etc. that are super simple, and cheap to make (relative to IPAs). Not to mention I can actually taste subtle differences in my beers.

That's just my 2c! I love brewing and love all beer!!

I'll be honest. I worked in a brewery and made many award winning beers. NONE of them were IPAs or Pale ales and I was brought in as the specialty beer guy. The irony is that my beers outsold the IPAs (hard to believe I know), but they outsold the IPAs because my beers were actually good and well crafted and unique.

Young people do soak up the IPAs and Pale ales because they are bitter and high in ABV over 4.5% average for the breweries in Los Angeles County. The hipsters around her also like Stout that has been oaked for so long you can't even taste the hops or malts anymore and are as high as 16%. Sours, Farmhouse Ales, and so on are also sucked down out here but ultimately are horribly made and people are mostly idiots who think they are "cool" for drinking these terrible tasting sours. The trick to these troglodytes is to introduce them to GOOD BEER of other styles and you really make the pay off. Ladies love Belgians and Fruited Blond Ales that are not too sweet. They also tend to soak up the German Lagers and Roggenbier as well.

I would give people splash samples of beers as a "pallet prep" at the taproom when they would get a taster flight and I notice they are all IPAs or Super Oaked Stouts. Irony was they would come back for the malty specialty beer that I sneaked in for them because it was more flavorful in taste instead of a handful of hops and the ABV was where they wanted it to be for their "buzz" load they were hoping to get. I have made Dragonfruit Blonds, Belgian Quads, Dopplebocks, Marzans, Bier de Guarde, and even Maple Stouts, Scottish 90 Schillings, Smoked Porters, and Scottish Wee Heavies. People love variety as long as they get good flavors, some from hops as well, and they get a good buzz going in the process.

The beers I made, on average, were up in the 7% but I did many specialty beers as high as 14% (such as my Wassail Apple Ale and my Belgian Quad). I even did a Utopia Clone at 29% that we got permission from the state/city to sell at 14 dollars for a 9oz pour (only one per customer as I only brewed a few kegs [about 4 to 8] of it a year and it is potent as all hell) and the owner bought the snifter glasses for it and was pissed about me making this beer. He was not pissed later when he made enough money off the 8 kegs that sold out in three months with a revenue of ~20k after costs (dude was an *******, which was why I left, offered me a portion of the brewery to come back... NOPE. My original conditions for working there was to keep my recipes for myself since I was only being paid minimum wage hourly as a part time brewer).

Now, there is nothing wrong with Pale Ales and IPAs, DIPAS and so on (the brewery owner wanted me to prove I could do a Pale Ale/IPA and I did one that sold out faster than his main brewer buddies silly IPAs that they were making with expensive ass hop amounts). But I do think a lot of people do not use hops sparingly or balanced. Some of the best pales/IPAs out there are hopped not by shoving everything in there, but by balance. El Segundo Brewing has a decent Citra Pale, but their Ocho blend of eight different hops tasted like licking an ill kept armpit. Quality and rationing make the best IPAs and Pales Ales in my opinion.

Anyway, to end my rant. Specialty beers are not a lost art. The morons who run breweries don't know how to market them and honestly, I have met several (over 20) master brewers in LA County who ONLY know how to make Blonds, Pales, and IPAs and claim everything else they make is trial and error. The best breweries in the area, ironically (like Yorkshire Square in Torrance for example), hardly have more than 1 IPA on tap and everything else is wonderful and flavorful and they are rated VERY high as one of the best breweries in the state (at one point they were #5 in the state and they had NO IPAs at the time). So hopefully other breweries and home brewers refine their techniques into the malty beers again, because good practice with grain builds (the foundation of one's beer) can make your IPA or Pale Ale EVEN BETTER once you master it outright. b^^

EDIT: To stay back on point. I think a lot of home brewers want to emulate what the micro breweries are pumping out.

Last edited:
Perhaps I've underestimated the modern home brewing scene.

I'm on a lot of homebrew websites, and I couldn't agree more with your original post. If you're from NE ohio, you may know of Masthead, and most hazy releases there are $20 / 4 pack. A lot of new brewers I see are trying to clone a similar beer on the cheap. And the amount of people trying to to do that really covers up how many people still brew a wide variety of styles.

Like I said above, I do enjoy the hazys, but I still keep a very wide variety of beers on tap! (for the record I'm 26) Belgians, perfecting my english mild, and working on a biere de garde.

People are going to drink beer for lots of reasons.

It just occurred to me that the fabled craft beer bust will be caused by the fall of the hazy IPA.

I don't mean return to the bad old days because I can't see that happening. Big beer is the aberration; craft to my way of seeing things is the return to normal, but there are some slack breweries out there right now, and the haze craze is keeping them afloat.

Cheers!

I brew what I want to drink, and have gotten pretty good at it. Have things to learn and improvements to make as long as I want to keep brewing, which keeps it interesting.

What others are brewing and what tastes good to them is no concern of mine.
But as a brewing enthusiast, I like to hear other's ideas on the subject and share mine.

If one were to base his/her observation on what is posted on this board then I might be inclined to agree with this. That, however, raises the question: Is HBT truly representative of the American homebrewing community?

I'm not sure that it is. I'm an old guy (a 51 model). I have, however, had a presence on the Interwebs since the early 90s when this remote, rural backwater where my farm is located first got access to the Internet (if you can call 28K dialup "access"; it's gotten a lot faster since then). I have observed, from participating in a number of message boards, that the majority of message board users are not representative of the typical individual who is involved in the <insert hobby/special interest here>. There are a lot of people who are involved in a particular activity who have no interest in any of the online resources which are related to that activity. I base this observation on 25+ years of participation in message boards related to aviation, agriculture, woodworking/carpentry, shooting sports, homebrewing, and probably a couple of other things I can't think of right now. So, all of that said, I would say no, the horizons for homebrewing are not narrowing. This board might give that impression, but I would be willing to bet that the average homebrewer in the US is not cut from the same cloth as the HBT members who are all about the latest Big Thing.
Same here. '67 model. almost same exact list of forum interests as you listed except aviation. swap that out for motorcycle and add gun dog training, tobacco growing. Hobbies are fun and when you find a group with the same interests it then becomes "a thing" ,somewhere where your personal ideas are "reviewed" for lack of a better term by others with the same interest. Theories become realities or someones got a "been there done that, didn't work " story . Next thing you know, someones expanding on the whole "thing" and it goes viral.

I've drawn essentially the same conclusion. The people on these boards are not representative of the homebrewing world--they're much more into it.

I'm a member of a homebrew group; when I first joined, I had hopes I'd be able to learn about homebrewing and accelerate my learning curve. Nope. Oh, there are a couple of people there who I'd consider advanced, but mostly not. Most are content with where they are in homebrewing, mostly doing extract kits, mostly doing what the LHBS has put together for them to use.

And the internet? Agreed, not a resource for most of these people, maybe 90 percent. The internet is what I turned to early in my brewing career, and THAT is what accelerated the learning curve.

BTW, IMO people get to do what makes them happy, and I'm not putting in a dig at them. They get to choose, not me choose for them. And vice versa.

Why don't people take advantage of what's sitting right there in front of them, free for the taking? It depends on your nature as to whether you want to plumb the depths of a hobby or subject, or are content to just be where you are.

I suspect, also, there's a certain willingness to accept the occasional failure, I suppose, in trying the new and weird things. Anybody who watched my homemade glycol chiller odyssey knows how many times I failed as I tried to find a way to make it work. Each failure was a step closer to the solution. Each mistake was a process failure, not a personal failure.

And in fairness...some of what I'm trying is dependent upon having resources. I'm an empty-nester. If I'd been interested in this 15 years ago...no way could I have afforded it.

But there are ways to improve that won't break the bank. The key is to want to improve.

I've been pondering this--you have your string of hobbies over the years, and I was laughing at it, as I have my own. I was thinking about how "typical" a user of various boards is, and like you, concluded that they're not.

It can seem to me as if "everybody" is doing something, but that's only if I focus only on the echo chamber here. The people on HBT tend to think similarly, and their views tend to coalesce over time as new ideas become established.

So I have a tendency to think, because I'm a sponge for information on and off the internet, everybody is as tuned in as I am. Nope. Not even close.

I do shooting sports, and reload my own ammunition. I've gotten to the point where I cast my own bullets out of lead alloy, and even learned how to powdercoat those bullets instead of using standard bullet lube. I thought it was common knowledge about doing this. Nope again. It just SEEMED like everyone knew about it, because I was a frequent member/poster of a bullet casting forum. I know of nobody within a 100-mile radius who also does this. I've talked with people at shooting events about it--there's nobody to share info with!

So, yeah, we're weird here. Thank goodness. :)

Last edited:
I agree with Mongoose. I started brewing last January when a co-worker asked me over to try a Sierra Nevada that he brewed. He has two kegs in a mini fridge, and it tasted amazing. I bought a kit within a few weeks of that. When I looked into kegerators, I found HBT and haven't stopped reading since.

I wound up buying a used 8-tap keezer, and my co-worker was amazed at how it looks. I bought my kits online (Ritebrew, Morebeer, Northern) and my co-worker couldn't believe that the kits were under $30 each. He's been brewing for decades, and had never thought to look online. He was paying $40-50/kit at the local shop.

I started BIAB this past January, and he had never heard of it. He's interested in it, but seems slightly nervous about making the change to all grain. I ferment in a chest freezer hooked to an inkbird, and he ferments in his crawl space under his house.

I suspect the majority of homebrewers are more like him, and not like the people on this board.

Well, as far as the age thing goes I'm 28 and don't really care for anything much hoppier than a sierra nevada pale ale. And neipas don't really look like beer to me (I've never had one so I have no idea what they taste like.)

Well, as far as the age thing goes I'm 28 and don't really care for anything much hoppier than a sierra nevada pale ale. And neipas don't really look like beer to me (I've never had one so I have no idea what they taste like.)

Only one way to find out! Just remember, if it’s brown, pour it down (the drain).

I like the philosophical turn this has taken. Seems right to me.

People trying to find meaning. Make communities. Make something.

We might do it different, but it's the same.

Respect

I brewed my first beer because i was young and cheap and broke and i believed the nice looking man inside the front cover of popular mechanics when he said i could brew my favorite Canadian style lager for penny's a glass. After THAT fiasco of stale canned malt, and ancient yeast, and pseudo-beer like substance, I took a little break. The next time I had some experienced help, and the goal was to make my own stout. I loved Guinness, but it was very hard to get in my rural area in the late 80'S. With my friends help, I made a pretty damn good stout - NOT Guinness - but damn good. Since then, I have played with a lot of styles, developed some real favorites, and have pegged down a couple of stout recipes i love. And truth be told, if I had to brew ONLY stout . . . I'd be happy and fine and would still enjoy my brew time. FORTUNATELY I don't have to be limited! So I am gonna try what ever suits my whim that day, and trends be damned.

I've not brewed all the styles out there, much less mastered any. IPAs seem to be the hot thing right now, eventually, it will be something else. Personally, I'm not a hop head, generally don't care for IPAs, though I don't find them intolerable. You won't catch me buying or brewing one, unless I was brewing it for someone else and they intend to take it all with them when they go.

I have never made an IPA.

My name is Mongoose33, and I have made IPAs.

I'm not a big fan of them, but I had some Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing, and was surprised. Not so bitter as to remove the enamel from my teeth, and pretty decent hop flavor and aroma.

So I've been toying with this from time to time, trying to match HLT and then make it better (meaning that I like it :)). I know what I want it to taste like, it's just a matter of tweaking until I get there. I want a lot of hop flavor and aroma, a certain level of malty sweetness, relatively low bitterness, and a good dry finish. Not sure that the last is consistent with the former, but I know what I'm hoping to accomplish at some point.

When I started, my goal was to make the hoppiest IPA I could, because I like them. After three years, my focus has shifted to traditional lagers, and making them right. Yes, I do love a properly done IPA, but I like better a nice refreshing lager that seems to satisfy something in me.

As homebrewers, as we gain experience, we will focus on what we like to drink; for the most part, that is why we brew. I have never understood (and have often disparaged) the silly (to me) trends that beer brewing, whether commercial or home, have drifted towards. Gose? Gross. Sours? Why? If I want sour I'll go get some Sour Patch Kids candy. When I drink beer I want to taste what makes it BEER; malt, hops, and whatever magic the yeast will add. As someone who grew up in the 70s and 80s, I remember what commercial "pilsners" used to taste like before they started adding more adjuncts to cheapen the process and stretch their brewing dollar. When we lived in Utah my dad drank "Burgie" beer; of course, back then it was the usual 3.3% ABV that was allowed by Utah's restrictive laws, but I remember it was quite flavorful.

As to the original question; horizons only narrow if you let them. There are so many styles out there, and recipes to follow or tweak to your own taste, that the possibilities are endless. Especially for all-grain brewers; we can make whatever we want, and hang the majority who say we can't, because it's not "to style" or within BJCP standards. Brew what you want to drink, I say.

Trends keep changing - it's NEIPA now but not forever. In the internet era these trends will reach everyone globally so they are reinforced. But there are always people who go against all trends + those who couldn't care less of what's in. NEIPA is probably partly about the development of new aroma hops and willingness to experiment on them. Personally, I have zero interest in brewing NEIPAs (or IPA for that matter). But never say never..I may examine this style soon when it becomes retro :)

As homebrewers, as we gain experience, we will focus on what we like to drink; for the most part, that is why we brew. I have never understood (and have often disparaged) the silly (to me) trends that beer brewing, whether commercial or home, have drifted towards.

Don’t you think these two sentences are contradictory?

Back