Are all dme's the same in terms of total sugars added to wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I could not find the answer to this simple question but looking at Briess website it did show that wheat and extra light were the same ppg in sugars added. A brewers app that I use on my phone shows wheat dme being lower in gravity than the others and it made me question myself a little. It showed wheat dme being a 1.037 and light dme being a 1.044

Is 1 lb of extra light dme going to yield the same gravity as 1 lb of any other type of dme?

Sugar is not added to DME or LME. They are produced by mashing malted barley then either concentrating the wort produced (LME) or dried to a powder (DME)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the spreadsheet i use shows wheat dme as 44 ppg. lme as 36 ppg. yours could be a misprint since the number is approx 80% of the dme ppg.

use all dme as having the same ppg.

I know all of that. My wording is all screwed up. I know that sugar is not added during the process of extraction. I am just wondering if the same gravity will be present for 1 lb of dme as another type of dme.

OK thank you Flars. Sounds like the program just listed incorrectly then. Listed it as the power of lme under a dme name.

I've noticed that priming calculators giving different amounts for different DME's, so the amounts of extracted sugars in the worts used to produce them seems to vary by manufacturer & style.

Back