Aqward question????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
to start off I have to say, I did my first brew in my new house, and it felt great, besides the cold(22 degress F out). Anyway, here’s my delima, wife stuck me on a budget. I can either get a dual kegging system ( 1 serving and one is carbinating ( same pressure)) or I can get a mill and the containers needed for the grains. I think if I go the mill route I will be able to get the kegs sooner than later than doing the opiste, but not sure.b. So I am asking for others opinions.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

My vote is to get the kegging system although buying bulk grains and milling yourself does save a ton of money and you get a consistent crush

Wow..that’s a tuffy. Not sure I’ve done anything more fun than go to kegging.

It’s a coin toss bro....congrats on which ever you choose!

Do you buy your grains locally? If so, you could just buy what you need for each brew and have the LHBS mill it. You wouldn't need the mill or storage, and could get the kegging system.

Hell, she gave you the thumbs up to buy beer gear. You're already a winner my friend. :bravo:

I used to buy grain at the LHBS and use their mill. Since buying a mill(actually a gift from my wife) I buy bulk grain for a fraction of what I used to pay for grain. $.80 per pound for base malts in bulk vs $1.80 adds up to a quick savings if you brew frequently.

Any and all advice, huh. Okay, you asked for it:
1. If you are brewing in your house and you are cold, turn on heat. ;)
2. If item 1 doesn't work for you for some reason, move somewhere warm. ;)
3. Get a different wife. ;)
4. If item 3 doesn't work for you for some reason, go the mill route. There's nothing wrong with bottling, and, as you said, the wife will soon break down due to her love of kegged beer (and her husband, probably).

Good luck!

I got kegs before a mill. I used to use a $5 yard sale blender to grind grain, it works fine. The old Warings are best, you just grind a couple of cups at a time. It takes no longer than heating strike water. My first mill was $22 corona type from Amazon. My grain storage is mostly buckets. Get the kegs.

Get the kegging system.

You can get a corona if you want, or have the LHBS crush your grain. You can store grain in plastic garbage bags in 5-gallon buckets if you need to, or tubs, or whatever you have.

kegging all the way my friend! Ive been bottling since the beginning for my brewing career, and I'm ready to be done with bottling.

no one has asked about the dedicated fridge you have to have for kegging? already have one?

seems like there would be a huge price difference in a two keg 'system' with a fridge included, or a 100 dollar mill and couple of 3 dollar buckets.

I've often said that if I hadn't gone to kegging early I would have given up brewing.

I still remember having finished beer and waiting a couple week to bottle it because I didn't want to deal with the hassle. That doesn't happen with kegging.

Come on, a mill and a couple of kegs is prolly 300 bucks. Get one, and shop around and get another when you can.

Although I get how nice it is to crack a nice bottle of you own brew in a fine old bar bottle from fine old bottle collection,..Kegging is a lot easier, and more importantly takes less time, ...if you sanitize the bottles and all that...

Spending less time cluttering sink or out in yard in mud washing bottles..., my guess is your wife would choose the kegs first.

To answer a few questions... at this moment, I buy my ingredients at my LHBS, but onl6 for what I am brewing that week ( I pick up tuesdays and brew on friday)
I drive a 40 min drive to nearest LHBS. One way. So if I start buying in bulk, it would be pointless To go to them to mill my grains.

no one has asked about the dedicated fridge you have to have for kegging? already have one?

seems like there would be a huge price difference in a two keg 'system' with a fridge included, or a 100 dollar mill and couple of 3 dollar buckets.
As of right now, I have a small chest freezer set up as my fermentor, a full size fridge that I will be using to store beer stuff in, ie yeast, hops, and beer. For the kegs, I’m looking at about 220 for 2 kegs, and 10 lb co2 canister,

I have been looking around and if I go mill, I will probably get the cereal killer (100.00)

I've often said that if I hadn't gone to kegging early I would have given up brewing.

I still remember having finished beer and waiting a couple week to bottle it because I didn't want to deal with the hassle. That doesn't happen with kegging.
I don’t mind doing the bottles, what has me wanting to keg is the wait time.

This is what I’m looking at, a mill will run about 100 plus a few bucks for buckets to store grain in. A keg is 220.( 2 kegs running at same pressure setup) now the part I’m struggling with, if I do the mill, my initial purchase of grains and hops( so no more trips to LHBS) will be roughly 160.00. But I know. It will pay for itself in the long run.

I do thank everyone on sharing their opinions on this.

Keep an eye on KegConnection they have some really good deals to get you started kegging. Find a co2 tank on Craigslist and you can probably do better than $220 for the whole setup including gas lines and picnic taps, if of course you are ok with picnic taps.

Back