Apple juice on top of blueberry wine trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my thread about my blueberry wine that is very much struggling to reach FG. Anyway, I racked that blueberry wine off the yeast cake and a small amount of leftover blueberry lees and transferred it to a carboy to maybe finish doing it's thing. I had about 3 gallons of store brand apple juice that I decided to just pour on top of those lees. It fermented like a rocket in a matter of a couple of days and was down to 1.0 final gravity. I tried it this weekend and it's really good. It's a light pink color, about 6.5% alcohol. I guess it's more of a cider than a wine but it turned out great :)

Yep...I've made batch after batch on top of the lees making cider with apple juice. Not many cider drinkers around here though and frankly, I'm not crazy about it either....but, it is growing on me. Just should not have made 10 gallons of the stuff! Figure I got about two years worth of the stuff. Good news is that does seem to actually be getting better....or I'm getting used to it!

All the apple wines I've made have definitely improved with age. Many of them started out with a "hot" alcohol taste but mellowed nicely after a few months.

Back