Apple juice in a melomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterZ

Reaction score
Brain pickin' time -
I am making Curt Stock's Super Berry Melomel. OG 1.158 FG 1.030-1.040 estim ABV 15.8
21 lbs wildflower honey
12 lbs blackberry/raspberry/blueberry mix
6 lbs strawberries
96 ounces black currant juice
2.3 gal water
Narbonne yeast
Staggered nutrient/energizer additions

Got my local grocer to order R. W. Knudsen's Black Currant Nectar. It's organic / no preservatives. $5.50/qt.
Reading the label closer at home I see the ingredients are:
1. Filtered water
2. "Organic apple and black currant juice concentrates" (proportion of each is not specified)

I love apple juice, but I don't care for fermented cider products. They taste vinegary to me.
But I must admit I have never had a cyser.
By chance has anyone used this product in a mead? If so was there any cidery character to it?
This is an expensive batch, and I don't want to f... goof It up and make a vinegar berry melomel.
Any thoughts?
- Steve

It'll be fine.

Black currant can be very acidic on its own.

Cider tasting like vinegar ? Likely contaminated.......

I've seen and read of Curt Stocks techniques and methods......I don't alway agree with some of his methods etc, but he has a rep for making some good meads.

Besides, you can't always mirror a recipe and/technique. Just go with it as closely as you can, it'll likely turn out fine......

Back