apple graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collycreekbrewer

Reaction score
Does ascorbic acid stop fermentation? I brewed the apple graffiti and it bubbled s couple of days then stopped. What should I do?

It does not stop fermentation. I use it in my brews to counter chloramine. I believe it is actually good for the yeast.

Ascorbic acid is just vitamin C

This.

BUT, while you're looking at the label, make sure you aren't buying juice with any preservatives (potassium sorbate, for example). THAT would be a problem.

WRT to your specific case: I have two batches of "cider" brewing. One is a batch of Edwort's apfelwine, where the recipe calls for extra sugar. That one has been bubbling away for WEEKS and is just starting to slow down: the yeasty beasties had to work overtime on that one. The second batch is straight apple juice (OG is 1.046, so I thought what the heck) using a montrachet yeast and I saw the same thing you did: lots of activity for a couple days then a drastic reduction. SO... we shall see...

Latest posts

Back