APA recipe critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a simple centennial APA this weekend and was hoping for some recipe advice before I brew. The recipe I have come up with is:

6.6# amber LME
.5# crystal 60
.75 oz centennial (11%) 60 min
.5 oz centennial flameout
.5 oz centennial dry hop, 7 days

est OG 1.048
est FG 1.014
est IBU 32
est SRM 11.75

According to the calculator at Brewers Friend, this falls within style, but I am wondering about the steeping grains. Too much crystal, and is there something else I will need to match the flavour profile for an APA?

I can't tell how it will turn out by resding a recipe but I would suggest using just regular light lme instead of amber

The crystal is fine, but I'd use light or pale extract instead of amber extract. Amber extract is pretty dark, and also contains crystal malt (among other things). In order to control the flavor better, I'd skip the amber malt, and then increase the crystal to maybe a pound of crystal 40L. I like 40L better than 60L in an APA, but either is ok. Or, even better- use 1/2 pound 20L and 1/2 pound of 60L for a bit more complexity in the beer.

I'd use more hops for an APA, and make sure there was a 15 minute flavor addition.

Like this:

.5 oz- .75 oz centennial (11%) 60 min (to 20-25 IBUs with this addition, so that you have 30-40 IBUs total)
.5 oz centennial 15 minutes
.5 oz centennial flameout
.5 oz centennial dry hop, 7 days

Latest posts

Back