APA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashing

Reaction score
Does anyone have a really good APA recipe? I need one for a very special occasion coming very soon. I've done the SNPA and have a version as a house APA but I want something different. I plan or bottling and giving these away upon the birth of my first granddaughter instead of stogies. Looking for something full flavored and fairly hoppy. I plan on a 5 gallon all grain batch. Soooo, what say you?

I make a simple Citra APA that most BMC drinkers really like. It smells like lemon-lime and the Citra adds a nice crispness to the body that makes the APA taste like a mix between a pale ale and a light beer. I forget the ABV, but I think it is around 6.4%. I typically make this one in 10 gallon batches myself, and my mooch BMC friends usually wax it off in two weekends....it's good stuff and very unique, no real commercial examples:

5 Gallon Batch
9 lbs 2-Row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

.75 oz Citra @ 60
.50 oz Citra @ 15
.50 oz Citra @ 5

S-05 Yeast

Primary @ 63F for 3 weeks

Keg and force carb @ 12-13 psi for 2-3 weeks around 40F, purge and serve @5-6 psi
or
5 oz priming sugar, bottle, and carb/age for 3 weeks @ 70F

Back