Anything terrible on this water report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
Found a report done by a company locally on our cities tap water, I've just put in a few of the items the report showed but does this look like anything major needs adjusting for, say a pilsner or a stout?

Calcium: 11.8
Magnesium: 2.70
Soduim: 3.06
Chloride: 0.04
Sulfate: ??
Alkalinity: 33.5

I couldn't find anything on bicarbs or sulfates, and this is all ppm I think.

I'm never fully happy with my dark beers as they have something off with them, just a slight bit, but I do enjoy my lighter beers. From what little I've seen of water profiles this may be the reason.

Is there an easy guide somewhere that I can use for "I want to do a beer at this SRM and IBU, based upon my water profile here what should I add"? That'd be awesome, a water profile predictor based upon the intended style....someone should make that if it's not been done already!

You have a good base water. You'll likely need more alkalinity for darker beers, however.

Looks like great water for many light colored beers. The calcium is lower than desirable, but that is easy to supplement.

The problem you're having with your dark beers is common for brewers with low alkalinity water, the beers come out too tart and sharp and lack smoothness. Get some Pickling Lime, a precision scale, and learn to use that stuff to modify your water for brewing those darker or more crystal-laden beers. Bru'n Water has the tools needed for figuring out your lime dosage.

Right on, definitely going to mess around a bit on my next darker ales.

And yes, they do come out a little tart and sharp. I used to say it was maybe because of my hops, maybe I added too much, maybe my AA% on the bags was incorrect or something, but my pales, pilsners, etc come out pretty much bang out where I want them.

Will read over and download the Bru'n Water file now, exciting!

Can one pickup stuff for water adjustments sort of anywhere? Our LHBS's here are very limited, I can pickup a couple things but some of the common adjustment ingredients I just don't see. Can I get them at 'common-place' stores?

I had to order my pickling lime online. Also, oddly, only found gypsum at my local HBS, not calcium chloride. If you want to use magnesium sulfate, that's epsom salts at the pharmacy, but I normally don't use them.

Back