Anyone used Midwest's Maris Otter Extract before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydster

Reaction score
I've seen this online before, but for some reason never noticed until now that it says it doesn't have any additional cara-malts or anything - "100% Maris Otter, with no added caramel malts or simple sugars" - check it out: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/maris-otter-unhopped-liquid-malt-extract.html

Just wondering if anyone else has used it and can comment on it? I'm planning out a chocolate milk stout soon and thinking about using this with it instead of the usual Briess Golden Light w/ steeping grains that I've been doing.

Might this be a potential avenue for an extract brewer to explore true SMaSH brews? The DME's I have used before have Cara-Pils in them, I am told (and believe) and so they don't really hold true to the SMaSH paradigm. I wonder if this particular extract would?

I've seen this online before, but for some reason never noticed until now that it says it doesn't have any additional cara-malts or anything - "100% Maris Otter, with no added caramel malts or simple sugars" - check it out: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/maris-otter-unhopped-liquid-malt-extract.html

Just wondering if anyone else has used it and can comment on it? I'm planning out a chocolate milk stout soon and thinking about using this with it instead of the usual Briess Golden Light w/ steeping grains that I've been doing.

Might this be a potential avenue for an extract brewer to explore true SMaSH brews? The DME's I have used before have Cara-Pils in them, I am told (and believe) and so they don't really hold true to the SMaSH paradigm. I wonder if this particular extract would?

I used the northern brewer version and it was great. Here's the link...http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-maris-otter-malt-syrup.html

Or you could mix-n-match extracts with the MO LME if you like. Would be kinda the same as I do with grain malts. Like mixing Marris Otter with Pale malt,both from Crisp in the UK. Add a little carapils & a lil bit of chocolate malt for a pale ale/IPA.

I've just opened the SMaSH that I made with Northern Brewer's Maris Otter Extract and Fuggle Hops. Turned out well. Flavorful, crisp beer that my wife thought was a great brew for the summer. Nice and earthy. I'll post the recipe and a picture the next time I open one.

Cool thanks for the feedback. Think I'll put in an order for some of the MO and try it out.

:mug:

I think it's maltier & breadier myself. I def like using it for some classic English ale flavor. Especially when combined with pal ale malt,both from Crisp in the UK.

The recipe I'm putting together has both MO and some Briess Golden Light. I think I'll still make something with only MO at some point, but for now I want to make a Chocolate Milk Stout and the MO seemed immediately like a good complement to the light stuff I'd been using before. Too bad I can't find the MO at my LHBS but them's the breaks I suppose. Here's what I'm thinking about brewing:

6 lbs MO LME
4 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Lactose
8 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz C120
8 oz Roasted Barley
-
1 oz Mt Hood @ 60
1 oz Mt Hood @ 30
6 oz Cocoa Nibs @ 5
1 split Vanilla Bean (vodka soaked) in primary 7 days before bottling

Safale S-04 to bring it all to life, hoping to get a full 5 gallons into bottles (5.5 - 6 gallons into primary initially)

Back