Anyone use a chilled conical to bring wort to pitching temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
I have warm tap water and am trying to avoid a secondary ice bath loop to get the wort to chilling temp. I am assuming I can get under 80F with my chiller.

Then drop down using the coiling coil in my conical before I pitch yeast?

I dont have a conical yet, but it is in the plan.
I have a dedicated small fridge I was going to run a water cooling loop through.

I dont have a conical yet, but it is in the plan.
I have a dedicated small fridge I was going to run a water cooling loop through.

just be aware that simply having a container of water in a fridge will not be efficient, it will take a while for the fridge to "re-chill" the warm water being returned using cold ambient air. you really need the coils of an A/C unit or the coils in the fridge (if you have glycol in the water) submerged into the water.

That said, I've chilled wort in my conical but not from boiling temps and usually only during the summer months when my ground water is warm. I've chilled my wort to at least below 100F and then my conical chiller do the rest (its a coil inside the conical).

Thats what I plan on doing, chilling best I can before the conical. I guess I can ice the water in the fridge to get it to pitching temps.

I was assuming my fridge could hold conical to 65F in a 72F room?

Latest posts

Back