Anyone have experience with a no-line "snap tap"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few, they work fine. Just vent excess pressure in the keg and set the pressure low, like 2-4psi.

With your picnic tap, you might not be opening the tap all the way. Before I had faucets set up I had all my kegs set up with 5' lines and picnic taps and they poured fine even at 12psi

I'm going to take a flyer and see I guess. Hoping it will pair with my 1.75gal keg for a compact travel package.

Yep...it's meant to serve the beer ice cold in a party bucket at low pressures...meaning if you don't want the beer to go flat you better kick the keg within a few hours...

Oh yeah no worries on that. I'm strictly planning to use it for day trips, the pool or beach etc. If it isn't going to be poured for a while I'll set it back to regular pressure.

That'll work, but given there's nearly zero restriction in such a setup you'll definitely want to totally release the head space pressure, then start your gas regulator reallly low - like a couple of psi to start - and test the pour quality. The same rig using a flow control front seal faucet would only be incrementally better wrt performance for probably twice the price...

Cheers!

If it doesn't work for me I guess I'll just stick with the picnic tab but I just don't like letting beer sit in it.

It should work though. You just have to use very little pressure for dispensing.
At the end of the day if there's still beer in the keg you'll probably want to bring the head space back up to "chart pressure" so the beer will have a chance to regain lost carbonation...

Cheers!

I have one. Everytime I moved it to another keg it would open and i would lose at least half a beer. I found a Pluto gun to be a much better solution.

I would expect any faucet snapped directly on a charged keg could open from the pressure pulse if not constrained by the user...

Cheers!

I think the only way I'd try it is to perhaps drop a length of 4mm ID EVA barrier tubing into the diptube of the keg. Cut the ends on 45 degrees to keep it from bottoming out. That may allow you to dispense at a couple PSI higher. I've done it with 1/8" ID PE tubing before but that was in a 5 gallon keg.

My little 1.75 gallon new keg has a convex shaped bottom and the dip tube doesn't go all the way down, so I was thinking about adding a little bit of beer line to the bottom of it anyway... Thanks

I built two very similar units using perlick 650ss faucets. Chi Company sells a stainless adapter specifically for these faucets to a FFL. I then bought stainless QD's so I would have an all stainless setup for both ball lock and pin lock:

26903723424_d93586eee9_b.jpg

I use these when I need to sample from one of the kegs way back in the walk-in cooler, and the flow control works quite well as long as the keg itself isn't overcarbonated.

Back