Anyone have a Drafty Kilt recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajohnson153

Reaction score
A local Georgia brewery called Monday Night Brewing Company makes a scotch ale called Drafty Kilt. This is one of my favorite beers. I was wondering if anyone knew of this beer and had a good clone recipe they could share. I tried searching but it didn't pull anything up. I figure it's a long shot but you never know unless you ask right? :mug: Cheers!

Well, I emailed the brewery and they aren't telling. Their website says it has cherrywood smoked malt, chocolate malt, and roasted barley, willamette and Columbus for the hops. I'm thinking of trying to find a basic scotch ale recipe and trying to see where I can sub in those ingredients. At worst I end up with a good scotch ale that isn't close to theirs. WWW.mondaynightbrewing.com if you're ever in Atlanta give it a shot.

Looked at this info here... http://mondaynightbrewing.com/brews/drafty-kilt-scotch-ale/ and came up with this up BeerCalc...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1488942/scottish-heavy-70---recipes/drafty-kilt-clone

6 lbs Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
2.5 lb Light Dry Extract
1 lb Cherry Smoked Malt
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Roasted Barley info

boil 60 mins 0.5 oz Columbus
boil 15 mins 0.5 oz Willamette

Nottingham Yeast

I used Nottingham as thats my default for any beer from the British Isles. This recipe gets you 24 IBUs, a dark brown color and 7.1 ABV. I believe that the Cherry Smoked Malt requires a mash, so this is a partial mash recipe.

Well, I was planning on getting a 5 gallon home depot drink cooler as a vessel for sterling grains for my Belgian that I'm brewing on Sunday. I guess after that I can buy some weldless fittings and build a mash tun out of it for this recipe. I've been wanting to gradually step up to partial mash and eventually all grain anyway. No time like the present. Did beersmith give you the mash temp and time for the recipe?

Hmmm, alright. I guess I can talk to the folks at the LHBS and see what they say about mash time and temp. I've never done a partial mash before so this sounds like a fun introduction to it.

Well, I don't think the LHBS has cherrywood smoked malt. Might have to mail order that. Other than that they have everything I need. I'm probably going to save up a bit and buy a new fermenter so I can brew this while my Belgian that I brewed Sunday is still in Primary.

Back