Anyone have a Beer Box? Carb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXjayhawk

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife bought me a Beer Box by Brewing Tools. I recently brewed a Kona Big Wave Golden Ale clone and bottled it in my Beer Box after using BeerSmith to tell me how much corn sugar to add to get to 2.3 volumes. It has sat in the Beer Box for 3 weeks and then I put one in the fridge to chill. I get a lot of foam when I dispense (which the Beer Box site says to relieve some of the Co2 pressure), and get a nice foamy head, but the beer is flat. Has anyone experienced this with a Beer Box or some other dispensing system that is similar? I can't figure out what went wrong. The beer tastes good, it is just flat.

Oh, I used WLP001 yeast and it sat in the primary 3 weeks before I bottled in the Beer Box.

That's not long enough for the CO2 in the headspace to dissolve into the beer.

As the beer cools in the fridge, it can hold more CO2, so the high pressure CO2 in the headspace produced by the yeast will gradually dissolve back into it. This will also reduce the pressure in the headspace reducing foam. This takes a while though - when the CO2 is supplied from a tank during set and forget carbing in a keg it can take a couple of weeks. In this case you've probably got a greater surface area to volume ratio in the box compared to a keg, so you should probably be done in a week.

Hopefully you haven't released all the CO2 from the headspace. If you have, you'll have to reprime and carbonate before cooling again.

Latest posts

Back