Anyone fill there own MedOx tanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I picked up a MedOX tank a year ago at a yard sale for brewing use.... Unfortunately then I realized how impossible it is to get someone to fill my "E" medOX tank.

So I have a nice portable tank on a cart with a liter Per Minute regulator. But I cannot refill it with Oxygen.

Then I came across a 122 cubic foot welding oxygen tank this week. Still has pressure! Plus I should be able to refill it! But its heavy, and I would have to buy a new regulator.

Browsing Ebay I saw this device

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxygen-Tran...211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7b7755db

Its an adapter that connects the two tanks together so I can transfer to the small tank to use near the beer brewing!

Am I over complicating this? Or would it be awesome to be able to fill cheap small MedOx tanks for brewing use?

after monkeying with my MedOx tank last night I think I will keep this idea open for the future...But fo now i'm going to get Williams brewing big Ox kit with the pediatric GCA 540 regulator. I tried hooking up the regulator on my MedOx and it leaked like crazy, But did have 1000+ pounds still in the "e" tank.

So backup regulator, and I have a while before I need to start thinking about refilling as long as I can figure out the leak.

You might already know, but just some feedback. That 1000# is half a tank. E cylinders are full at 2000#. And if you do end up refilling from a large tank? Fill slowly. They get hot on the refill. I have done it a few times when I did respiratory homecare. We had a bank of 4 H cylinders in series. I can't really give you any details because it's been quite a while ago. But if you have some home oxygen companies local, you might check to see if they fill their own and maybe would let you see their set up. I would bet it's not as common as it was 15 years ago when I did it because of advancement in portable, liquid systems for patients.

I'm a scuba diver and I Braze with O2 for work, so I use and handle this stuff often. I hate it when all the "Safety Sally" pop up and tell me I'm going to die. But I must say, I don't mess with O2, the stuff scares the crap out of me. Get a regulator for the big welding tank and that will last you the rest of your home brewing life.

I fill mine at the local gas supplier. Same place that fills carbon dioxide, welding oxygen, and other industrial gases.
I Just had to explain to them that it is for homebrew use only, not medical, and they don't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I fill mine at the local gas supplier. Same place that fills carbon dioxide, welding oxygen, and other industrial gases.
I Just had to explain to them that it is for homebrew use only, not medical, and they don't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

yeah my local Airgas wouldn't touch it and I'm work friends with the manager. I got the big O2 tank for free so I have kinda given up on the little E tank besides its portability. The other place i found that might fill it is my local FBO at the airport for "aviation oxygen" use

E tanks are also used by us EMS/fire folks. And a lot of independent companies, wheelchair vans, etc have that bank of 4 setup a PP spoke of. They fill their own. I did it for years.
Find a friend who's a volley firefighter, etc. and he'll likely help you out. Especially if you buy a pancake breakfast ticket or something for the guys (like, ahem, beer)

Also being in aviation, if you have a good friend, not just some random ramp kid, that is definitely a viable option.

E tanks are also used by us EMS/fire folks. And a lot of independent companies, wheelchair vans, etc have that bank of 4 setup a PP spoke of. They fill their own. I did it for years.
Find a friend who's a volley firefighter, etc. and he'll likely help you out. Especially if you buy a pancake breakfast ticket or something for the guys (like, ahem, beer)

Also being in aviation, if you have a good friend, not just some random ramp kid, that is definitely a viable option.

Back