Anyone ever tried making Tepache?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
After reading up on tepache, i notice that it is very similar to how kombucha is made. It ferments with being open to oxygen. Do you end up getting a Scoby with tepache too? Also, have you tried this method with other fruits?

I found that tepache was simple and interesting...And there are a lot of differing opinions on some of the details. I think the thread is a good read-through. You see some experiments and tweaks.

To answer the scoby question, no, there is no scoby. I have, however, gotten a covering that I guess is a "yeast raft". Using a bottling bucket, I could draw off the tepache from under it and it never seemed to be a problem.

I did NOT like the flavor of adding a beer to the recipe. I did NOT waste the pineapple flesh...Eat it! You only need the skins. I also use the core. Toss the top/leaves and bottom. Rinse the skins, but don't scrub or sanitize... they are providing the wild yeast.

It's been awhile, but, as I recall, I think I used an airlock from start to finish. I know it was always covered. After a couple days, or a little longer, the solids are strained. Then you ferment to your preference...A week longer was usually about right for me. If you want extremely low alcohol, go less. If you want more, go longer. I guessed mine was generally around 2-3% ABV.

It's good over ice, mixed 50-50 with a lawnmower beer, or lemonade. Great for Summer, because it ferments better in warm weather and it's a good drink on a hot day.

I have pretty good notes in a blog, if you are interested and I'm happy to answer any questions. I'm certainly not an expert, but I did make several batches a couple years back...Maybe I'll make some more this Summer. I haven't been active here recently, because I have brewed since last Summer and life has pulled me in another direction, but you can pm me and I should see an email notification, like I got from @passedpawn. Cheers!

No scoby. I think it's yeast, not bacteria that ferments it. Also, it only takes a few days.

It's awesome, especially with hot weather. I put strawberries in with pineapple.

Hey mattmmille, I read through most of that thread and really appreciate all of the contributions to this homebrew tepache by you and passedpawn! I'm really eager and interested to try this out as it sounds like a delicious concoction that the family will enjoy. I have one question: what did you typically use for priming and how much?

Back