Anyone ever cut a keg for stove top brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
Im looking to cut a keg almost in half so i can do 5 gal boils from my stove top. I would like to keep at least one of the handles. Has anyone done this yet and if so do you have pics?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would be a waste of time. More importantly, it's a waste of a keg.

Not trying to be a hater. Out of curiosity this is a gas range at least? I would think you could get a proper pot for cheaper and easier, no?

Of course its a gas stove and it has a power burner on it. I have 3 15 gal kegs in my garage collecting dust and an angle grinder. This project will cost me almost nothing to do.

How about you return one of the kegs for deposit and then go spend that 30 dollars to buy a pot for your stove. You just mentioned that you have 3. Maybe you should return all 3 and you could buy a nice 10 gallon SS pot.

cockybitz said:
How about you return one of the kegs for deposit and then go spend that 30 dollars to buy a pot for your stove. You just mentioned that you have 3. Maybe you should return all 3 and you could buy a nice 10 gallon SS pot.

I dont have a deposit out on these they were all given to me.

Here is a picture of my boil kettle made from a keg that someone had already butchered the top on. They had tried to cut the top open with a chisel and ruined it.
I re-used the handles and bolted them on with stainless machine screws. it holds 10.5 gallons and upped my boiling capacity. I also added a sight tube which comes in handy.
http://i50.tinypic.com/23s93dl.jpg

ron said:
Here is a picture of my boil kettle made from a keg that someone had already butchered the top on. They had tried to cut the top open with a chisel and ruined it.
I re-used the handles and bolted them on with stainless machine screws. it holds 10.5 gallons and upped my boiling capacity. I also added a sight tube which comes in handy.
http://i50.tinypic.com/23s93dl.jpg

I like it thats pretty much what I was considering.

ForumRunner_20120819_135325.jpg

Latest posts

Back