Anyone ever BiAB then use it to mash in for high gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
So, I was thinking tonight about making a barleywine and whipped up a recipe, but I don't have a tun big enough to fit all the grain necessary. Part of the grist is also a good amount of rye, and I was going to add DME for gravity but then it hit me, what if I do a step mash with direct heat biab with the rye and some more 2-row so I can get a protein rest on the rye, then raise the temperature to mash-in temps (~168-170) and use that to mash in the rest of the grist. I know I would be staring down a very long brew day, but I'm feeling like it would totally work for a very concentrated wort in a 5-gallon cooler mash tun setup. I guess the focus of the question is would the bulk of the mash be affected by mashing in with wort from a biab?

I'm brewing with fairly unsophisticated equipment (orange cooler mash tun, 7.5 and 6 gallon pots respectively without bulkheads and fancy S*** etc., standard wort chiller, on an electric range oven) and buying shiny stuff is not currently an option, but any experience/theories/knowledge would be appreciated, I think I can pull it off.

I did a barleywine in small equipment. Just mashed the largest volume/grain bill I could fit the boiled it down to reduce volume and increase the OG. Or like you mentioned you could so a standard mash/boil and add extract to make up the missing gravity points.

Randy Mosher writes about that technique in Radical Brewing (p135), calling it "doble-doble" and includes a recipe

20 lbs MO & 2 lbs Biscuit

split into 2 equal grain bills. mash first at 152, vorlauf, drain, sparge to collect 4 gallons
clean the mash tun, fill with 2nd half of grainbill. (EDIT) use runnings from first mash as strike (/EDIT) repeat the mash, sparge to collect 6 gallons

While it could be done as described above, it would be more time efficient to conduct two smaller simultaneous mashes, one in your cooler and a BIAB in the kettle.

Kinda like series or parallel, cheers!

Randy Mosher writes about that technique in Radical Brewing (p135), calling it "doble-doble" and includes a recipe

So the idea could work, which is good. As for the flaked stuff or lme/dme, I'm working with what I have, and I admittedly have a very serious rye ADDICTION, sometimes using it in excess of 65% of my grist when I do use it, and if I recall the rye dme has crystal malts and barley in it that I don't want. It's a nice product, but when all is said and done, I prefer the pita mash and good quality control over simplicity and one-size-fits all brew. And, correct me if I'm mistaken, flaked rye needs to be mashed anyways. As for side by side, I guess I could do a smaller amount of water BIAB and mash in as usual with the rest of the grain bill. Time isn't really a factor as on my days off I have a lot of time to dedicate to something like this. Thanks for the input!

I've done back-to-back mashes with my BIAB setup to get a high gravity wort. It adds a couple hours to your brew day, but it really wasn't a big deal and you get the quantity you need without upgrading equipment. Concurrent mashes would be even better if that is an option.

Latest posts

Back