Anybody mix AG with extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigmund

Reaction score
I switched to AG a few months back but had an extract kit for brown ale that didn't get used. I hate to see it go to waste so I decided that next batch, I'm going to try and mix it in with an AG brown ale. Anybody know any reason why this shouldn't work?

If the kit contains hopped LME, I'd follow the extract recipe. If not, I'd do a partial mash and use up the kit ingredients...definitely don't let it go to waste!

I would make the kit as it is supposed to be made. I'm mostly AG but still do extract kits from time to time. There's no shame in that.

I would make the kit as it is supposed to be made. I'm mostly AG but still do extract kits from time to time. There's no shame in that.

I brew beer....Sometimes the WAY I brew is AG, sometimes I partial mash, and in the case of at least 2 of my regurlarly brewed beers I brew them extract with grain (I've done them in AG and there is no discernable taste difference after sitting a month in primary and bottle conditioning, and since I brew them every few months I don't NEED to spend all day brewing them)...

I brew beer....Sometimes the WAY I brew is AG, sometimes I partial mash, and in the case of at least 2 of my regurlarly brewed beers I brew them extract with grain (I've done them in AG and there is no discernable taste difference after sitting a month in primary and bottle conditioning, and since I brew them every few months I don't NEED to spend all day brewing them)...

What I was trying to get at in my post is that I don't see the point of taking an extract kit, which is a complete stand alone recipe meant to be made as-is, and trying to shoehorn it into some kind of partial mash just for the sake of avoiding an all-extract brew.

As for myself, I like to mix in a few extract w/grain kits now and then because they are high quality and fun and easy to do. I haven't done a side by side comparison of an AG to extract recipe, but someday maybe I will. Like you say, its all beer, and its all good.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Revvy! You old dog! :D

What I was trying to get at in my post is that I don't see the point of taking an extract kit, which is a complete stand alone recipe meant to be made as-is, and trying to shoehorn it into some kind of partial mash just for the sake of avoiding an all-extract brew.

As for myself, I like to mix in a few extract w/grain kits now and then because they are high quality and fun and easy to do. I haven't done a side by side comparison of an AG to extract recipe, but someday maybe I will.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Revvy! You old dog! :D

My post was just an agreement of yours, I liked the "no shame" part, especially....and I agree about just brewing the kit as is...as you know, if done properly and if the ingredients are fresh, and extract recipe or can be awesome!

One of the beers that I brew every couple of months is Yooper's Deadguy Clone (extract with grains...) And it is fan freaking tastic. I've done a taste test with people, doing a side by side comparison between Dead guy in bottle and mine, and mine wins hands down...

Oh, and Thanks!!!

My post was just an agreement of yours, I liked the "no shame" part, especially....and I agree about just brewing the kit as is...as you know, if done properly and if the ingredients are fresh, and extract recipe or can be awesome!

One of the beers that I brew every couple of months is Yooper's Deadguy Clone (extract with grains...) And it is fan freaking tastic. I've done a taste test with people, doing a side by side comparison between Dead guy in bottle and mine, and mine wins hands down...

Oh, and Thanks!!!

I knew we were in agreement, I just took the opportunity to explain further my position on what to do with said extract kit. :)

You know, I've heard nothing but good things about Yooper's Dead Guy clone, and I like the real thing. Maybe I should give Yooper's recipe a try sometime. So many beers to brew, and so little time...

Must be I didn't explain things well enough, but I have an extract kit that I want to make (5 gallons) and an AG batch (5 gallons) for 10 gallons. When I have my AG ready to boil, I wanted to add water and the extract and boil the whole thing together.

The more I think about, I'll probably just go for it and see what happens.

Back