Any way to filter beer from keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxpx5678

Reaction score
I just kegged up my IPA and it has a great hoppy flavor. The only issue I have is some hops sediment made it into the keg and you can see it in the beer. It isn't a big deal but I was wondering if there is a good way to filter that out?

Thanks

image-1397470200.jpg

Dan said:
How many pours are you into the keg?

1-3. Mostly just testing the carbonation.

It isn't a big deal. It is just hops and they settle at the bottom of the glass. And I imagine they will settle at the bottom of the keg eventually too.

Attached is a photo of the bottom of the glass.

image-3954992210.jpg

I cut off about 1/4-1/2" of out tube on one of my first kegs. It seemed to work pretty well. I was a bit impatient then, have since crash cooled the brew bucket before kegging, that seems to help. I force carb 3-4 days and it is drinkable. After about two weeks the beer is very clear. If I left it two months pretty sure the beer would be crystal clear. The first draw or two of a new keg usually has a few dregs in it.. that's it.

There are filtration kits you can buy. Just seems like to much hassle really. Clear beer mainly just takes patience.

There are inline filters. You can go from one keg through a filter into another keg, pushing with CO2. However, consider, each time you run through a filter, you're also losing some good stuff along with the sediment...i.e. body, minute hop particulate, etc.

I filtered my beer one time, I stay away from it now, I found that it removed a good bit of the body and I wasn't happy.

~rc~

Dan said:
I cut off about 1/4-1/2" of out tube on one of my first kegs. It seemed to work pretty well. I was a bit impatient then, have since crash cooled the brew bucket before kegging, that seems to help. I force carb 3-4 days and it is drinkable. After about two weeks the beer is very clear. If I left it two months pretty sure the beer would be crystal clear. The first draw or two of a new keg usually has a few dregs in it.. that's it.

There are filtration kits you can buy. Just seems like to much hassle really. Clear beer mainly just takes patience.

What do you mean by your first sentence? You cut off some of the tubing? How did that help?

I don't cut my diptube at all, as eventually everything settles. But cutting the diptube means that you're not sucking up beer off of the bottom, so that I guess the beer would be clearer at the beginning since it's not sucking up anything that fell out.

Once the keg sits for a bit and the floaties settle, you'll have no hops debris floating around and you won't have hops in your glass.

Yooper, thanks for explaining, I went to bed shortly after I wrote that. Cutting off 1/4-1/2" of the out tube seemed like a good idea at the time and it did prevent some of the bottom sediment from being pulled out of the keg on the first pour, but not really worth the effort or loss of beer that is left in the bottom of the keg.

Probably the three most important practices I have come to appreciate in home brewing. Great sanitation, maintaining proper fermentation temperature and patience. Keep those three things sacred and everything else comes out just fine.

Latest posts

Back