Any single tier brew sculpture full walk throughs on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about designing a single tier system with pumps and wondering if there are any COMPLETE walk throughs on building one. I looked through the projects section and there's a lot of pictures and small descriptions, but I'm not super handy and I figure there must be some full walk through with part numbers on here somewhere.

I've been able to find this for everything else on HBT but not a full system build. Anyone post a link for me or share your system specs if you have them?

Thanks!

So I have a company in town that is going to fabricate a stand for me as soon as I give them the plans. Does anyone else have specs and/or drawings for single tier stands that they're willing to share?

I just want to look at several designs so that it's built the right way the first time. There aren't as many specific plans online as I expected to find.

Put together your own plans.

1. Measure your kettles. This will be the most critical measurement because everything will be based from this. If using different vessels, use the largest one for designing. Also, choose a material type. Square tubing is typical, usually 1.5" x 0.065".

2. Figure out your basic format, single tier, two/ three tier, whatever.

3. Set the width of your stand by using your kettle measurement and adding half your material width. This will rest the kettle on half the tubing on two or three sides.

4. Set the length of your stand. Using your kettle measurement, multiply by however many kettles you are using and then add how much space you want between them. Add half of your material width.

5. Draw the basic shape of your stand. This where the 1/2/3/ whatever tier comes into play. You will also be able to "place" your kettles into your design and workout plumbing. Changes may occur. It's OK.

6. Add crossmembers to support the kettles on four sides. These are the total width minus 2x material thickness.

7. Add your footing. Flat, casters, leveling feet? Where will your stand be used, does it need to move, how much money do you have left?

That will get you started enough to present something to a shop in order to get what is in your head built for you.

The point about leveling feet is more important (IMHO) than most people would pick up on. Surfaces are hardly ever level and it's annoying brewing on a slant. My garage floor pitch is enough to annoy me. If I were starting from scratch, I'd spend some time trying to design a system that has sturdy feet with a couple inches of easy height adjustment but also have a way to engage wheels.

My sculpture is just some cheap metal shelving. BUT if I was making it from scratch, I'd really consider the height from the beginning. I had a friend cut and "shorten" the stand because I found I had to stand on a stepstool to mash in, and to peek into my HLT!

I'm pretty short, I know, but I like to have the shelf of my stand at 27". I can stir the mash, etc, easily with both feet on the ground, not hurting my back, as well as still have enough height to easily prime my pumps. It sounds like a small thing, but it's really important. I'd "practice" on a table of different heights just to see what's the most convenient for you. The height of the vessels makes it so that the top of my vessels is 50".

Back