Any refrigerator experts out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatt

Reaction score
So I have a spare top/bottom fridge in the garage that I use to ferment my ales and stuff with a johnson temp controller attached. I was wondering if I drilled holes in the freezer/fridge septum, would I be turning this thing into a more utilizable fermenter, I.E. maybe use for lagers? Cause TECHNICALLY the freezer would be cooling both portions of the fridge. I just don't know if the freezer compressor would be able to handle it. Any ideas?

The biggest risk is that most units have the cooling coils buried inside the walls or that partition between the top and bottom. If you drill or cut into it, you just ruined the whole fridge.

Otherwise, you have a great plan.

The vast majority of residential refrigerators only have one compressor that cools the freezer compartment. The fridge portion is cooled with a fan that uses the air from the freezer. Have you tried googling the model number of your fridge for a schematic? If you can't find one, the plastic liner is pretty easy to cut with a razor blade, cut out a small section and look coolant lines.

"Cause TECHNICALLY the freezer would be cooling both portions of the fridge."

TECHNICALLY, that's how the refrigerator works now. If the evap is placed on the divider (septum). You may punch holes through the drain pan and other stuff. You won't have a deviated septum, just one that is punctured. Notice that there are various slots/vents for air to circulate through the coil and box. Chopping out holes will change the air flow characteristics, that the guy who designed it, figure it needed to work right. Try turning the stat down, first.

A vast majority of fridges have the cooling coil on the back wall. 1st there should be screws that hold the rear/back plate on remove the screws if the fan and coil are there. A better explanation of what your trying to do would give us a take on this.

So the freezer bottom unscrews, so I unscrewed it, lifted it up and below is just some styrofoam, nothing special. I cut a little hole in that and I find the only thing separating the freezer from fridge at this point is a thin layer of metal. So naturally I felt compelled to cut thru that. Just seems like there's a hole now with no drip anythings, or coils. I bought it for 40 bucks so I'm not too worried if I ruin it. However I think my plan is going to work. Thanks for the advice. Cheers.

Back