Any reason not to use this C02?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my brother in-law picked up this FULL C02 tank in a junk pickup and sold it to me for 10 bucks. It was accompanied by a pin lock keg of soda (for the same 10 bucks) but had a sticker date of 1997. I can't believe its really that old but the sticker is all I have to go on. My other tank is in the red so I need C02 for a party this weekend. Is there any reason this C02 could not be OK to use?

Thanks,

David

IMG_3296.jpg

I couldn't give you a solid reason, but while I might try using that gas for myself, I wouldn't use it at a party. My thinking would have less to do with the age, and more to do with I don't know what else that tank might have been used for, and the sourcing of the gas being a mystery. If you really want to serve up some 1997 at a party, spin up some R. Kelly on your phone. It's just as sketchy, but probably slightly less risky.

I have my empty bottle in the truck with me but I was wanting exchange that for nitro so I could start kegging wine. I'll ask the guy at the gas place to see what he thinks. I mean the bottle was picked up WITH a keg of soda so I doubt its anything other than C02, my concern was the age and wether there is such a thing as food grade.

David

I'm pretty sure that Co2 tanks must be tested and reinspected every five years and stamped with the latest re-certification date. I doubt it's worth anything since the cost of the test is about what a shiny new tank would cost.

I'd be interested in hearing how you make out.

So I spoke to the guy at the Airgas store and he suggested that I not use the tank. He said if it is that old inside of the tank could be rusted and pitted. Just to be safe I want to head and got a new bottle of C02 and I will exchange that other bottle for nitrogen later.

A hydrostatic test shouldn't cost neAr as much as a new tank and your "gas guy" should be well aware that oxidation (rust) requires oxygen. The inside of that tank should be fine. The "O" in CO2 does not promote oxidisation. That's why fire extinguishers work.
The gas should be fine as well as far as I'm concerned, I'd use it. CO 2 doesn't break down

A hydrostatic test shouldn't cost neAr as much as a new tank and your "gas guy" should be well aware that oxidation (rust) requires oxygen. The inside of that tank should be fine. The "O" in CO2 does not promote oxidisation. That's why fire extinguishers work.
The gas should be fine as well as far as I'm concerned, I'd use it. CO 2 doesn't break down

Thanks, when I took a another look at the tank after I got home I noticed its an aluminium tank which wont rust anyway. Dang, oh well.

They'll swap it out without question. It was that I wanted to use it because it is still full. I was just questioning them on whether or not it would be OK to use and he said that if it truly is that old he would strongly suggest not using it. Meaning bring it back and swap it out. For that reason I want a head and swapped my empty tank for another CO2 tank. But when I got home I realized that other tank is aluminum anyway and won't be rusting anytime soon. On top of that I believe the tank he just gave me is also painted aluminium. I put a magnet on both of them and it didnt stick.

They'll swap it out without question. It was that I wanted to use it because it is still full. I was just questioning them on whether or not it would be OK to use and he said that if it truly is that old he would strongly suggest not using it. Meaning bring it back and swap it out. For that reason I want a head and swapped my empty tank for another CO2 tank. But when I got home I realized that other tank is aluminum anyway and won't be rusting anytime soon. On top of that I believe the tank he just gave me is also painted aluminium. I put a magnet on both of them and it didnt stick.

Yup. Aluminum.

I agree with you. Short of something piercing the side or knocking off the valve, nothing to fear in my opinion.

I'd use up all that free gas carbonating and dispensing without worry and then swap it out for a fresh one when it's empty. The soda you could use to initiate some new frat members *chanting* CHUG CHUG CHUG....

According to The Brewing Network, industrial and food grade CO2 generally come from the same plants:

The slight difference between industrial-grade CO2 and food-grade CO2 is the type of tests that are done to qualify CO2 as beverage or beer gas-grade compared to industrial-grade. Currently, the FDA's requirement for food-grade CO2 a 99.90% purity rating. The other .09% is made up of impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen. Industrial grade CO2 is 99% pure CO2, also containing impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen.

However, the nature of those impurities extremely important. They go on to suggest:

One impurity that all homebrewers should be aware of is benzene. Benzene is a no-no for homebrewers. If the CO2 that you are purchasing has high benzene levels, it will leave you and fellow drinkers with terrible headaches. When I say high levels, we are not talking about much. Benzene is usually an impurity that is referred to in PPB. The benzene level should be around 20 PPB.

Food-Grade, anything (in the US) means special requirements on transport and handling, which implies more expense. So even though the same plant may produce it, the pipes leaving the plant have to be food grade, the tanks the product goes into has to be food grade. The non-food grade version will go through less expensive /less-maintained/less-cleaned pipes and into similarly treated containers.

Non food grade could have oil in it (or remnants of oil) from any of the things it's passed through, Tanks, Tubing, fittings, valves.... and would not be good for food use or consumption. Lead is also a concern, as most fittings (Brass) can and do contain lead, Most food grade CO2 fittings are stainless or aluminum to avoid lead contamination.

Last edited:
How do you figure? Are you suggesting all stainless steel is magnetic, or that non-magnetic forms of stainless steel are never used on these tanks?

I've never seen a stainless gas cylinder. Worked In Restaurants and with welders on fence crews for 25 years. Too expensive and heavy for the application.

How do you figure? Are you suggesting all stainless steel is magnetic, or that non-magnetic forms of stainless steel are never used on these tanks?

You said steel. Not stainless steel.

Two completely different things.

You said steel. Not stainless steel.

Two completely different things.

Sorry. I got lazy and thought that was assumed, given the context of the question. I should have been clearer.

But in my defense, stainless and non stainless steel aren't completely different things, at least not if your standard is to lump the two categories together as all the same within each. They're pretty closely related. Stainless is a subcategory, after all.

Go ahead and use it, the environment is stable and non-reactive. The reason your Airgas guy told you not to use it is liability, nothing else. To test it, throw some water in a corny and carbonate it, taste the water and see if there are any off flavors or colors. I'll bet it is as good as the day it was filled.

Sorry. I got lazy and thought that was assumed, given the context of the question. I should have been clearer.

But in my defense, stainless and non stainless steel aren't completely different things, at least not if your standard is to lump the two categories together as all the same within each. They're pretty closely related. Stainless is a subcategory, after all.

I see your point. But.

Yes, they are closely related in the fact the base metal is iron.

But stainless in very different in application and composition.

I was a little busy this weekend and was surprised to come back to 3 pages of replies. Thanks for all the responses I did end up using it by the way. When I kick it, I'll swap it for a nitro or beer gas tank for pushing stouts or wine, but havent decided which yet.

About the steel, I know stainless is not magnetic but also have never seen or heard of a stainless steel cylinder. Also, the tank has a sticker on it saying its Aluminium :) I just put the magnet on it to verify.

Thanks,

David

Latest posts

Back