Any Ramp/Soak PID Users? (not st1000pid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I work with these controllers at my shop, but only as of recently, so I'm still green on the ramp/soak features.
I built an electric panel based on this for RIMs use in particular. Now that I've used it manually as I tweaked my setup 1 piece at a time, I'm ready to actually set a program.
I'm using an Omega CN7800 which is programatically the same as several other models, and not unlike some Honeywell units I've seen.
Does anyone have experience with this type of controller, and can offer any advice on getting the ramp/soak parameters set right?

I've got a 4500w element with 120/240, and have been using the 120v @ 1125W for the RIMs process so far. Today I set up a program with just water and used the 240/4500 to raise it to strike temp, then used cold water to simulate the dough in. I did forget to redo the auto tune for the 4500 watt mode, so not sure if that caused my ramp/soak to be way off, or just bad parameters.

Greetings,
The PID settings for 120V and 240V will be different.
I looked at the OMEGA's instruction manual and don't see a Self Tune or Continuous PID operation mode. (Popular on OMRON models)
You may end up with one voltage on PID the other on manual %

What is your thinking with Ramp/Soak?
Why do you want to slow down the heating process?

I'll look at the OMEGA model some more for further insight.

'da Kid

There are some yokogawa pid's that will do this, but I have no idea where to source one. We use them for pot control with ramping. It works well. Just keep in mind the ramp is setpoint based. The pv might not actually get there.

I've already got the controllers and all identical in programming. One program of 6 steps is for firing lava stone, and works right so I have the right start. Its predecessor was manual set point (dial) and Max rise till it hit set point then timed cycle. Can't get the omega to do that.
The manual makes a comment in ramp and soak programming to: be careful the set point is not reached before the time is reached as it will then recalculate the ramp to the next set point. (even if a soak cycle)
If the whole point of this device is to control temperature for ramping and soaking why/how can I prevent it from reaching the set point too soon? Makes no sense. The opposite where the system can't reach the set point in time makes sense, but not too soon.

Back