Any problems Corking beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapy45

Reaction score
We've just finished bottling a batch of Octoberfest. Eager to use the new floor corker, and knowing the corks we purchased from the local winery were #7, we decided to cork rather than cap the bottles. Yes, we did add priming sugar according to the kit directions (Brewer's Best Octoberfest). While the bottles are carbing up, should the bottles be laid down to keep the corks wet? Any other special instructions for corking beer bottles?

I have never used a cork for a beer. I suspect you will have trouble. As the priming sugar is consumed, I think the corks will push out of the bottle.

Belgians get corked, don't they? Do they have trouble with the corks pushing out?

use some wire to keep them on and you will be safe.....

Premiere75cl_verre__63512_zoom.jpg

Sounds like I'd better get some wire cages. Thanks, everyone!!

I frequently cork Belgians but always use the wire bails. The carbonation will push the corks out, so make sure the bail is secure, it isn't just for looks.

In wine making they suggest standing the bottles for the first 72 hours and then laying them on their side to keep the cork from drying out. That's what I do.

Ok. What's the purpose of standing vertical for 72 hours? Wouldn't it make sense to lay them down once they're corked?

Ok. What's the purpose of standing vertical for 72 hours? Wouldn't it make sense to lay them down once they're corked?

No.

The cork is compressed when it's inserting, so letting the bottles sit upright for a couple of days allows time for the cork to uncompress (I know, that isn't a word, but it's exactly what I mean!). Then once the cork is not compressed anymore, it can fill the entire top of the bottle and seal it. Then the bottles can be laid on their sides.

Otherwise, the wine can leak around the sides of the cork when first corked.

Allrightythen, the bottles will stand vertical for three days. Hopefully during that time I'll find some wire bails to secure the corks. Then they'll be laid down. Thanks again, everyone!! :)

I wish you well but my experience is that the bottles will have significant pressure from the CO2 just overnight. By the time you find wire bails you may have beer all over. You can slow the carbonation by chilling the bottles until you get the wire bails. Once you have the corks secured you can let them warm up to continue carbonating.

In the hopes that I can buy myself some time, I put the bottles in my basement. It stays around 60F down there. Hopefully, that will keep the yeast slow enough that I can get some wire cages from a local winery.

Back