Any other uses for Kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakudwn

Reaction score
Just as the title says. I got a Kolsch that is going to need to be racked off the primary in a week or so and i want to save the yeast. Any other styles this yeast is good for? Anyone use this for a ALT style?.

Well, I used my leftover kolsch yeast for an IPA. The beer turned out good, but I don't think it was the best yeast for the job. It attenuated more than I'd like, so there was little malt backbone for the hops. Still pretty good though.

Kolsch is a very versatile yeast. I think you could make any number of beer styles with that yeast. Ales and even lagers.

I guess the question is what do you want to make?

Yeah I remember reading an article where a guy made an APA and fermented it with like five different yeasts and he preferred the kolsch over all of 'em.

Yeah and I think some people use that yeast to make like an oktoberfest ale type of deal trying to simulate lager without having the equipment to ferment it cold

The best RIS I've ever made was with a Kolsch yeast. Infact, I just made a Kolsch and using the yeast cake for another RIS.

Yay! I thread about what has become my favorite yeast.

I've been brew crazy this year, making lots of small 2-3 gallon batches to test a lot of different yeasts, hops, etc. I've been using a lot of WLP029 since it's crazy great for just about anything. I personally like making wheat and rye beers with it.

An example:

Lemongrass Rye

5 gallon batch
1.054 SG

7 lb German Pilsner
2 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Rye Malt
4 oz Lemongrass

Mash at 149 for 75 min

Boil 90 min

13 IBU Simcoe @ 90
3 IBU Simcoe @ 5
4 oz Lemongrass @ 15

WLP029 ferment for 4 weeks (minimum) at 66*

Yay! I thread about what has become my favorite yeast.

I've been brew crazy this year, making lots of small 2-3 gallon batches to test a lot of different yeasts, hops, etc. I've been using a lot of WLP029 since it's crazy great for just about anything. I personally like making wheat and rye beers with it.

An example:

Lemongrass Rye

5 gallon batch
1.054 SG

7 lb German Pilsner
2 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb Rye Malt
4 oz Lemongrass

Mash at 149 for 75 min

Boil 90 min

13 IBU Simcoe @ 90
3 IBU Simcoe @ 5
4 oz Lemongrass @ 15

WLP029 ferment for 4 weeks (minimum) at 66*

that sounds good, not sure about the lemongrass though, what kinda flavor does that impart?

It can be made without the lemongrass.

The lemongrass gives it a little citrus bite at the end. It pairs really well with the simcoe aroma, IMO.

Back