Any non-wheat ale suggestions for wlp300?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EthanH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm appealing to the HBT brain trust for recipe ideas for non-wheat beers using White Labs Hefeweizen Ale (wlp300).

I'm about to bottle a batch of EdWort's Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, in which I substituted wlp300 instead of the Wyeast strain in the original recipe. My plan was to rack my next batch onto the yeast cake, a process I've done with good results in the past (albeit using wlp001).

One wheat beer at a time is sort of the limit for my pipeline, which generally lists in the more IPA-ward direction. However, I understand the esters of this strain would probably match poorly with a robust hop schedule. I was thinking something with rye, and in fact my research points to roggenbier, but I don't really know much about the style.

Any ideas are welcome.

I'm doing a saison right now with a mix of hefe yeast and Dupont (about 1:6 ratio). Seemed like a good pair based on ester/phenol similarities. So I would think maybe any lighter lower-IBU ale would be good. Maybe with citrusy hops. Rye would be tasty.

dampfbier. If you want all barley. Though dunkelweizen, weizenbock, and roggenbier are different enough than a hefe, I wouldnt mind having both.

Im of the opinion that high IBUs, or IPA levels of hopping, dont mix well with the ester profile of wlp300/wyeast3068.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm making my first trip to the new homebrew shop in South Austin this weekend and I'll post back with what I end up with. Tempted to do the roggenbier recipe in Zymurgy, but I am completely unfamiliar with dampfbier, so I might try that. There's an article and recipe about the dampfbier at byo.com.

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/530-dampfbier-style-profile

I ended up going with the byo.com recipe and I just cracked the first of my dampfbier yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. While I don't have any commercial version to compare it to, I would describe it as having a maltiness similar to that of a German lager, but with a really pronounced hefeweizen yeast character. I think I like this style better than most wheat ales I have tried.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Latest posts

Back