Any issues kegging sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
I was planning on moving a flanders red into a keg but after I got to thinking I realized it's pretty acidic. I don't want the beer to be affected by the stainless steel and was wondering if I should use something non-reactive like glass. Many thanks!

Stainless and plastic are both non-reactive, but keep in mind that your plastic may be contaminated after you run bacteria through it. I have a tap in my keezer that's only for sour and brett beers now; best decision ever...

If you're concerned with contaminating beer lines just fill the keg with star San and fill the lines. Let it soak overnight. pH of 2.8 will kill the bacteria with a 24 hour soak. Don't believe me? Read American Sours.

Alot of us keg sours and or Brett beers all of the time without issue, a stainless vessel is pretty ideal as far as storing finished beer is concerned.

I am a worry wort and and pour my funk beer via dedicated funky picnic taps and not my standard Perlick lines, although I dont think its even a big deal to mix and match your lines assuming good cleaning and sanitation.

If you use a keg for something funky and then clean you should change your o rings though.

I guess the only other thing to consider is if you are keeping the keg at room temperature and there is additional higher chain sugars to be fermented. Even this isn't a real concern though because the keg will easily hold any pressure build up that could possibly be produced assuming your sour is mostly attenuated. You can always bleed the pressure if you anticipate that fermentation will kick up in the keg. If you keep the keg cold, there's not a concern for this at all in my experience.

Is there any concern with contaminating other beers through the CO2 lines if one tank is feeding several other clean kegs?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just kegged 2 infected ones I had, both served up fine... the third will go in after the winter but after I'm finished I plan on replacing the lines and boiling the parts.

I've had plenty of sours at fine beer establishments served from tap.

Back