Any high powered Android users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just moved up to a phone with 5.1.1 (Lollipop) and it is annoying the hell out of me.

It seems that Google has decided that I need to be alerted about EVERY DAMN THING on this phone. I am even getting alerts from applications that I haven't looked at, telling me to look at them.

Just today Amber alert went out and my phone started talking outloud in front of everyone. THAT DEFINITELY HAS TO CHANGE!!

Now, so far I cannot find any kind of single volume control. On my older Android phone I pulled down the bar, changed to vibrate or silent and that worked for the whole phone.

Is there any such thing in Lollipop? (This is a motorolla pure x running mostly stock Android.)

Another thing on this new version, why wont they keyboard record words I want to add to my dictionary? There is no prompt at all. And every time I try to type sexy it says sec'y. I don't even know what the hell a sec'y is.

Thats strange. You can definitely change the settings on the amber alerts and apps (usually under sound settings). On the keyboard thing (Im assuming youre using google keyboard) you can go under the language and input settings and change the aggressiveness of the autocorrect and how well it learns things. In my experience the 5.1 Lollipop has been very intuitive in learning what I type. The drop down sound control bar is a system thing so it differs from phone to phone. For example, my Galaxy Nexus did not have sound control in the menu but my new LG G4 does. So cant help you on that. The other setting should be in the sound controls and language

Edit: Just looked at my coworkers Nexus 6 (stock android running 6.0) and his pull down menu doesnt have volume control either. He just uses the side buttons to adjust

to turn off amber alerts (and other alerts), go to your main settings>wireless & networks>more>emergency broadcasts and uncheck what you don't want.

for any app that you never want to see another notification from, long press on the offending notification, click the exclamation mark and block the app from showing notifications.

to turn off all notifications, hit your phone's volume up/down key...this should bring up a dialog where you can set notifications to be none/priority/all.

for a keyboard...look at swiftkey. if you want even more control over your phone...look at nova launcher prime (i think it's on sale for $1 right now...WELL worth that.

how do you like the moto x pure? i'm looking to get a new one but my 2.5 year old htc one is still kickin and runs 5.1 like a champ.

for any app that you never want to see another notification from, long press on the offending notification, click the exclamation mark and block the app from showing notifications.

Did not know that. This will come in handy

Cool. I will try those things, I wasn't sure if the volume buttons applied to everything. On my Samsung Note 2 they don't, in fact they change what they apply to depending on the screen.

Sucks on the no widget in the pull down.

Do I like it? A couple of things are wicked cool, like the wrist shake to launch camera when the screen is off. Another chopping motion, I think, will turn on the flashlight. Screen is just incredible next to my Note 2. Playing Hearthstone is wonderful and I actually can get really involved for a smallish 'computer' screen like a phone.

The camera is the real let down for me. I had hoped that it would be more like the positive reviews, but those must not have been power users. The interface is clunky. Low light is terrible. And I am really really missing my macro focus from the Note 2...so I actually still take pics with it at the moment. But, full light photos are pretty darn good. The HDR setting works pretty well. I like the more pixels and stuff...but well, I'll call this an Ok camera app.

Loving the customization I ordered through Motorolla. But it also means no case cause I ordered leather....mmmmm. So all that chopping and wrist twisting will probably cause me to throw it at something, some day....life on the edge.

Have you tried Llama? It's a geofencing app that based on your location or time of day will adjust your settings. So you could define a place called "work" and between 9-5 have it completely silent. Outside of 9-5 have it loud incase the wife is calling. Create a place called "home" and have it silent from 10pm - 6am. Then adjust settings when your not in any of these locations or time to be "loud". Now you're never bumbling around turning down the volume as your entering work or a meeting

how often you typing "sexy?" I think this is where we should be steering the topic towards...

mine need options for the predictive dictionary. Its constantly doing retarded corrections like turning "end" into "3rd" (i guess cause you long press the E to type a 3?)

I second Llama! A great app i have been using for a few years. I haven't messed with volume controls in a long time!

Have you tried Llama? It's a geofencing app that based on your location or time of day will adjust your settings. So you could define a place called "work" and between 9-5 have it completely silent. Outside of 9-5 have it loud incase the wife is calling. Create a place called "home" and have it silent from 10pm - 6am. Then adjust settings when your not in any of these locations or time to be "loud". Now you're never bumbling around turning down the volume as your entering work or a meeting

I haven't used Llama but I recommend to everyone I know that uses an Android phone to install Tasker and figure out how to use it. I will never use another phone without it.

I haven't used Llama but I recommend to everyone I know that uses an Android phone to install Tasker and figure out how to use it. I will never use another phone without it.

I was just going to post this. I don't like paid apps, but Tasker is outstanding.

Especially if you get into home automation whatsoever. :rockin:

I have just moved up to a phone with 5.1.1 (Lollipop) and it is annoying the hell out of me.

It seems that Google has decided that I need to be alerted about EVERY DAMN THING on this phone. I am even getting alerts from applications that I haven't looked at, telling me to look at them.

Just today Amber alert went out and my phone started talking outloud in front of everyone. THAT DEFINITELY HAS TO CHANGE!!

Now, so far I cannot find any kind of single volume control. On my older Android phone I pulled down the bar, changed to vibrate or silent and that worked for the whole phone.

Is there any such thing in Lollipop? (This is a motorolla pure x running mostly stock Android.)

Another thing on this new version, why wont they keyboard record words I want to add to my dictionary? There is no prompt at all. And every time I try to type sexy it says sec'y. I don't even know what the hell a sec'y is.

To turn off alerts for specific apps in android (and note that different manufacturers change it a little) go to the options then device I believe and application settings (this is where you can uninstall applications). Tap on the application from the list and you can usually uncheck a box that says display notifications. You can also deactivate applications this way so that they just dont run (useful for uninstallable preload crap)

Amber alerts. They are usually configured in the text messaging applications settings. Or at least that is where I have always found them.

Volume. Depending on the device manufacturer here is how you adjust volumes. By default the in call volume rocker on the side will change the sound of what is currently being played. Samsung has a gear on the popup showing the sound is changing and you can then adjust sound for other things (ringtone, app volume, headset volume). My Sony Xperia only does it for current (I have to remove my headphones to adjust the ringer volume). Otherwise the sound profiles (where you can change your ringtones) should have options for changing the volumes of things. Some phone manufacturers have a toggle you can add that will switch between sound/vibrate/silent mode.

You can remove words from your dictionary (usually in settings, keyboard and language). It is a "feature" of the keyboard app. Kinda annoying, i think you can de-select the auto un-correct feature.

Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in over a year. Never worked all that great on Lollipop so I doubt it works any better with Marshmallow. It's unfortunate because it truly was a fantastic app.

Now I just configure the priority notification settings built into Android. It works ok enough for my needs.

Latest posts

Back