any Hallertau hops rhizomes for sale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
I received hops from a member a couple years ago , but by the time I got them we were moving and had to rent the house we bought. But , seller wouldn't let us do any improvements nor plant anything until the process had completed. So, by the time we got through the house closing process ( which took over 5 months and I'd had the rhizomes in the box for 3 or 4 months already), the rhizomes had molded in the box ,smelled horrible and I tossed them.
Now that we've had a very wet winter and spring is around the corner for us in the south (North Alabama, 1300Ft ASL), I'd like to try it again. I have a spot by our swimming pool area that would be perfect.
My taste is partial to Hallertau and any derived from it. If anyone happens to have any cuttings they could spare , like just 3 or 4 would do, I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You can find Hallertau rhizomes along with American-derived varieties similar to Hallertau. You mention that you live in the south and spring is not far off. I don't know where you live or the climate but Hallertau generally doesn't grow well in hot climates. You might be better off with an American-derived varieties that grow better in your climate.

You can find Hallertau rhizomes along with American-derived varieties similar to Hallertau. You mention that you live in the south and spring is not far off. I don't know where you live or the climate but Hallertau generally doesn't grow well in hot climates. You might be better off with an American-derived varieties that grow better in your climate.
North Alabama , but up at 1300 ft ASL. Thanks for the info.

One option is GreatLakesHops, I bought a plant from them and it did pretty well over the past 2 summers. Haven't had a ton of cones, but that might be because I have them in containers. I'll probably order from them again.

I think they have an account on here.

North Alabama , but up at 1300 ft ASL. Thanks for the info.

Do you get frosts in winter? Hops are temperate plants that like a bit of frost. They're also pretty sensitive to daylength - a latitude of 35N/S is typically quoted as the southern/northern limit, but people here seem to find a bit of flex in that.

But I'd agree that Hallertau probably won't be particularly happy in Alabama - I'd probably try Liberty, which is a triploid hop with Hallertau parentage on both sides so tastes pretty similar but has better (well - less terrible) yields and better disease resistance.

Frost yes, even have the occasional snow . I'll look into liberty .what do you think about mt hood. It's a hallertauer offspring too.

I've never done the side-by-side taste tests (but feel free to try it by adding 3 pellets of each to cold macro lager and recapping), but Liberty is generally said to be the most Hallertau-ish in flavour.

I ended up just ordering today some Hallertau hop rhiomes from Freshops. They have a pretty good selection.

Wow, that's random, they have Viking. I've never seen her for sale in the UK, either as rhizomes, cones or in a beer - and the USDA says she's less happy growing in the US than here. She's a granddaughter of Bramling Cross and Northdown, bred in the 60s during the great panic over wilt, but turned out to be not as resistant as the likes of Target. Given her mother is Svalof, I guess she would be vaguely appropriate for using with kveik, but I'm not tempted....

I'll say again though - in the US, Liberty will be less disappointing than Mittelfruh.

Hopefully you have better luck, here in N Ga I can only get Cascade to grow well... everything else I planted died :(

Just planted a liberty rhizome a couple weeks ago here in MI and have some 4" shoots already.
We've been getting a lot of rain too, so that helps.

I strung my twines yesterday. They go up my deck posts, but not vertically, up at an angle.
Liberty is up to about 8", but not quite long enough to reach the twine and grab hold.
Another inch or so ought to do it.
Should I put a twisty-tie on it to hold it to the twine initially?

I also have a Centennial that is a few weeks behind the Liberty.
First year for both, but the Liberty rhizome came to me a lot more mature-looking than the Centennial.
They are both planted in large pots so I can move them later if I want.

I let mine get as long as needed then just trained them around the twine. Remember that they need to be trained clockwise to the twine. Once they touch they naturally will find the way themselves. My mt hood is up 6 ft to the cross beam on the support structure .I'll have to keep an eye on it to train it to the horizontal cable. Hopefully it will be fine on its own.

Latest posts

Back