Any experience with orange zest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I did this m-80 ipa recipe from morebeer. AG

it's a 12 gallon batch and i cut the recommended "oranges chunks" to half. I cut them up very clean trying not to get any white rind. soaked in grey goose for 20 mins added primary after 4 days

I also added a bit of zest from the peel (just the orange stuff using a zester)

Just kegged it and the 1st taste (un-carbed 20 days primary) tasted zesty and bitter... i'm hoping maybe this will mellow out.

any experience with this?

Does it taste bitter cause its an IPA? Ive used citrus zest many times, but mostly in wits and the like, and never got any real bitterness.

I think its important to use fresh citrus that smells good. I usually go to a produce/organic market. Some supermarket oranges are often coated with a food safe wax to preserve them. I have no idea on its effect on the beer if you didnt remove it.

The white stuff is call pith and it is bitter. If you were carefully and only had the zest in there, you should get a sweeter flavor than if pith was included. Either way, adding pith will not make your beer add a ton of bitterness. Since it's an IPA recipe, I bet that's the bitterness you speak of, as giratte mentions.

Latest posts

Back