Any experience buying direct from China?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My partner and I are in the startup stage of putting together a Nano brewery. We're going to start with a one barrel brew house and several half to one barrel fermenters. We started with a half barrel fermenter from Ss with neoprene cover and internal coils. But we really want fully jacketed next. I decided to take a dip on Alibaba.com just to see and holy crap, the prices are incredible. I've been communicating with Mary Chen with Hangzhou Kuangbo Machinery Equipment Co., Ltd. in Ningbo China. No language issues. Her written English is excellent.

So the quote. For a 100L (26.4g) working volume, 140L (37g) total capacity conical fermenter jacketed, insulated and fully skinned, complete compliment of tri clamp fittings including a carbonation stone, capable of pressurizing to 29 psi, (so can be used as a uni tank) - $1285 shipped to the Port of Houston, TX. Compared to the 30 gal capacity Brewer's Hardware Conical at $2200 or the 42 gal for $2750.

I know what some of you will say. You get what you pay for, or if it's too good to be true... I realize I would be taking a huge risk, and might spend $1300 and get a pile of unusable junk. So what I'm trying to determine is, if anyone here has actually dealt with this, or any other Chinese company directly, and what was your experience? I've also read an actual experience on ProBrewer.com for a company called Brew-Tek that operates in China but has a number of experienced Western brewers on their design and management staff. I'm going to reach out to them as well for a quote.

I used to work for an MRO supplier who had dealings with companies from China.
Things you need to consider:
1) Make sure that whatever is sent to you has American sized connections, You will not always have an easy time locating a company than can supply you with an adapter to convert metric connections to American NPT/SAE. Sometimes you just won't find anyone with a 50mm x 2" NPT or sanitary adapter. If that happens, be prepared to pay a machine shop a LOT of money to make you one.
2) If you are purchasing an item from overseas and it breaks down (and eventually everything does regardless of where it is made) do they sell replacement parts, as not all overseas manufacturers supply parts, some only sell complete units, also, if they do sell replacement parts how long will it take to get parts sent to you?

Best of luck to you on your project!

I used to work for an MRO supplier who had dealings with companies from China.
Things you need to consider:
1) Make sure that whatever is sent to you has American sized connections, You will not always have an easy time locating a company than can supply you with an adapter to convert metric connections to American NPT/SAE. Sometimes you just won't find anyone with a 50mm x 2" NPT or sanitary adapter. If that happens, be prepared to pay a machine shop a LOT of money to make you one.
2) If you are purchasing an item from overseas and it breaks down (and eventually everything does regardless of where it is made) do they sell replacement parts, as not all overseas manufacturers supply parts, some only sell complete units, also, if they do sell replacement parts how long will it take to get parts sent to you?

Best of luck to you on your project!

Thanks. Looks like all English Units. I have attached their spec drawing.

View attachment 100L three-layer fermenter-Model.pdf

Chinese are notorious for taking shortcuts, thinner metals, cheaper alloys, poor welds... I would ask for some US references who have bought from them before taking the plunge. Get phone numbers, make calls, maybe even go see it in person.

My buddy just purchased a 1000L brewhouse from China to include 2 fermentors and keg washer. Everything was decent quality including the welds. He also got it a quarter of the price than getting from GW Kent or a German company.

The fermentors were all 1.5" Tri-Clamps so there is not much worry for NPT threading size if you get a similar setup.

My buddy just purchased a 1000L brewhouse from China to include 2 fermentors and keg washer. Everything was decent quality including the welds. He also got it a quarter of the price than getting from GW Kent or a German company.

The fermentors were all 1.5" Tri-Clamps so there is not much worry for NPT threading size if you get a similar setup.

Would you care to share the name of the company he used? Any idea if they make smaller individual units like I'm looking at. Would you ask him if you could PM me his email? I would love to get his experiences from him. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking in expanding my small batches to something a little less smaller. I've benn thinking in buying a brewhouse with maybe 200L/500L. I think this stuff here (Western Europe) is overpriced and then I checked Alibaba. I saw some complete beerhouses with great prices. I know, you get what you pay for, but has anyone bought something like this from Alibaba? Any feedback?

BTW, I'm thinking on something like this: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.58.47cb2ddfo1pOr

I am also building a nano with a partner and we have ordered a 3 barrel system from Gavin at Sungood machinery and deli equip...(I found them on alibaba) They make much of the stuff including the 3 bbl for a very popular brewing equipment brand in the states I wont mention...
so far Gavin has been great to deal with and after customs and shipping its still came in at over 3 grand less not going through the middleman.(You dont always get what you pay for thanks to things like distributors , markups and commisions and rebranding and the marketing and advertising that someone has to pay for..)
gavin/sungood is also a sponsor at the probrewer.com forum..

I have ordered some other things from alibaba like a power supply for my samsung plasma that wasnt available anywhere in the states and a couple 1.5" TC based 5500w heating elements which I ordered for $16 each vs the $75 they sell for through distributors.. Once you contact them on alibaba they will not let you purchase through alibaba in most cases unless your doing a bulk order because on commission fees collected by the site.

It was a little scary wiring money to a bank in china.. but a deposit was made then a payment when it ships and another on delivery.

I am also building a nano with a partner and we have ordered a 3 barrel system from Gavin at Sungood machinery and deli equip...(I found them on alibaba) They make much of the stuff including the 3 bbl for a very popular brewing equipment brand in the states I wont mention...
so far Gavin has been great to deal with and after customs and shipping its still came in at over 3 grand less not going through the middleman.(You dont always get what you pay for thanks to things like distributors , markups and commisions and rebranding and the marketing and advertising that someone has to pay for..)
gavin/sungood is also a sponsor at the probrewer.com forum..

I have ordered some other things from alibaba like a power supply for my samsung plasma that wasnt available anywhere in the states and a couple 1.5" TC based 5500w heating elements which I ordered for $16 each vs the $75 they sell for through distributors.. Once you contact them on alibaba they will not let you purchase through alibaba in most cases unless your doing a bulk order because on commission fees collected by the site.

It was a little scary wiring money to a bank in china.. but a deposit was made then a payment when it ships and another on delivery.

Great feedback.

I know a popular brewery around here that orders everything from China but I think he went there before and made the deals directly.

Yes, it's a bit scarying to send money for some random bank in China, I would prefer to buy through Alibaba but, for now, it's only a project, it won't go any further in the next few months but I hope that don't I can go with it forward as soon as possible :mug:

Great feedback.

I know a popular brewery around here that orders everything from China but I think he went there before and made the deals directly.

Yes, it's a bit scarying to send money for some random bank in China, I would prefer to buy through Alibaba but, for now, it's only a project, it won't go any further in the next few months but I hope that don't I can go with it forward as soon as possible :mug:
Theres so much possible financial potential that two of the local brewery owners in my neck of the woods are now involved in selling chinese brewing systems in one way or another.

I've been designing and contracting the manufacture and import of goods with overseas factories for almost 15 years, and in that time visited factories all over the world. In my experience, there are good and bad factories on every continent, and China unfairly gets a bad rap, largely because they make up the largest shares of import products into the US. My experience in dealing with the Chinese has been overwhelmingly positive, they almost always communicate well and I have seen very few instances of intentional dishonesty.

In today's hyper-connected marketplace factories can deal directly with consumers as a way to offer rock bottom prices while side-stepping the real crooks, the shady distributors who have little skin in the game beyond a cellphone and a PO box. Factories simply cannot afford to spoil their reputation over a measly few grand they might rip off from some guy brewing beer in Idaho who doesn't know any better. I'm not saying there are no unscrupulous sellers on alibaba, but when they are found out, they usually won't stay up there very long. It takes a significant investment in facilities and machinery to set up a factory to manufacture these types of products, and it's all for naught if they sell crap quality.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to try them out; if you like their product let them know, if you have an issue, give them a chance to make it right. Chinese factories have to work twice as hard to build their reputation as anyone else on the planet. Look at what made in Japan means today vs. 30 years ago; China is on a similar course and they have every incentive to make you happy to get your repeat business.

Can you send me the name of the seller of the 5500w TC elements on Alibaba? I was looking at these, but didn't quite have the gumption to pull the trigger. How are they working so far?

Can you send me the name of the seller of the 5500w TC elements on Alibaba? I was looking at these, but didn't quite have the gumption to pull the trigger. How are they working so far?
I beleive I posted the info towards the end of my build thread below, His name was Allen Gu and he works for the yuling comapany. I had to paypal him the money outside of alibaba as most companies do because of alibaba large commision fees. this is the company,
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.40.4d14482cRwMRi9

What was your review for these. I have been eyeballing them but didn't want to spend $ 70 ea.

I have zero complaints... I only use one of the two I bought but it works perfect and does what it should.
A few others here have pmed me for his info and bought from him and Ive heard no complaints. The elements came to $31 each shipped and took about 2 weeks.

Back