Any Entomologist here? Need a Bug Identified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveoatley

someone has to fail, so the rest of you look good
Reaction score
OK HBT,

I got a good one for you.

Found this BUG - and I want to know what it is.....

Before I tell you were I found it ( you probably wont believe where i found it )

OBVIOUSLY i need to do some cleaning !!!

I am more interested in HOW it got to its final resting spot...... It was dead when i found it.

Any one got any ideas what this bug is ?

About 2 mm's long
6 legs

bug 1.jpg

bug 2.jpg

Bug 3.jpg

Junebug maybe??? (some kinda beetle)
I bet you found it in your tap line didn't ya?

Looks like a grain weevil

I think you might be right.....

I am a brewer - I have a lot of grain in my house

Quote from a website i found - http://www.getridofthings.com/pests/beetles/get-rid-of-weevils/

The two most common types of pantry weevils are the granary weevil (Sitophilus granarius) and the rice weevil (Sitophilus oryzae). They are often referred to as snout weevils.
These little pantry pests are actually beetles; very small beetles that rarely get any larger than ¼ of an inch. Female weevils use their little snouts to drill holes in the casings of grains, such as wheat, oats, rye, rice, corn, barley, and various seeds and beans. Once the hole is drilled, she deposits an egg and seals the hole back up with a gelatinous glue-like substance that she creates all by her little self. The egg hatches after a few days, and the larvae uses its surroundings as a lunch box for about the next month. For this reason, it can be difficult to detect an infestation. Not only is it slow to start but the larvae are in hiding. Once grain weevils (a.k.a. flour weevils) or rice weevils present themselves, you’ve got a problem. A single female can lay up to 400 eggs, which means up to 400 more hungry bugs lookin’ for a snack. If you’ve experienced something like this, you’ll need to know how to control and get rid of weevils.

So sounds like my stores of grain are at HUGE risk

FUDGE !

Found this little bugger in the G~ Dam "gas" line, the very last one !

How the F did he get in there ?

The very last line on my 6 gas lines
1. Kegerator - 4 taps ( i can presureize 2 while serving from 4 )
2. CO2 is Outside the kegerator
3. Main gas regulator is outside the Kegerator
4. 3 gas manifold - 3 gas lines
5. Secondary gas regulator - it was so i could push the first 3 kegs at higher pressure, than the next 3 kegs
6. 2nd gas manifold of 3 gas lines

And this little bugger was in the VERY last Gas line !!!

How the Fudge did he get there ?
How did he get threw everything ?

Did he live in an environment with out Oxygen ?

How bad is my beer infected ?

How much hose do i need to replace ?
What else do i need to replace ?

How do i keep this little Fer from getting back in?

WTF?! ( found this on Christmas morning, when i kicked a keg )

Gives hole new meaning to the "Red Tick Ale" I made !

Bug 4.jpg

Little bastard must have been hiding in the metal barb or something when you connected the gas line. I'm sure he met a swift demise as soon as the gas was turned on. I highly doubt that many if any harmful microbes got carried downstream or survived in the oxygen free environment. I bet your beer's fine, even if that was a little gross.

Not the same, but I had two bugs in the batch I'm drinking now, and it's fine.
I found both bugs on kegging day. One was a dead spider in the keg (?), the other a dead bug in the beer. I can only think that the bug got in during the boil, and I missed it. The spider must have gone into the keg after washing, while upside down drying. Then when I closed the keg for storage, he died in there. I did find him (her?) before sanitizing the keg.
I call this batch Bug Juice.

I can NOT see how this bug got into my system ?

He did not crawl OUT of a popit (keg ) into the line.....?? DID he ?

I just assume that any bacteria on him were blown INTO the keg that was hooked to this gas line
That particular batch tasted Good ! ( no problems )
but any bacteria on him could cause an infection - in the KEG the gas is blowing into....

There are supposed to be back pressure valves in the manifolds - so gas only goes in one direction.....? but is that true ?

Thats why i assume all of my Kegged beer has "smelt" this bug.

I usually replace ALL my serving line once a year anyway......

just want to burn the whole keggerator into the dirt.....:(

Back