Any DC-area homebrewers? Looking for tips on where to get CO2 refills.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCbrewuhr

Reaction score
I just bought a new tank for CO2, as I'm looking to get into force carbonation. Almost everywhere I've called up in the DC area does tank exchanges and won't just fill up a tank you give them. I may have to exchange my tank if I have no other option, but seeing as it's brand new I'd prefer to hold onto it. Also, what's the verdict on non-food grade CO2, like from a place like Dick's Sporting Goods? Does that pose a real health hazard?

Everyone I've talked to says there usually isn't any difference. What to look for is benzene, which is sometimes found in CO2. Food grade won't have it, but regular also shouldn't have it but sometimes does. I've never noticed it and I never get food grade... Just be aware of it. Either source is 99% CO2, it's that other 1% that can be bad in non food grade.

Did you check for a local airgas or weld shop? Some will do a fill for you, although not if your tank is too old.

I just bought a new tank for CO2, as I'm looking to get into force carbonation. Almost everywhere I've called up in the DC area does tank exchanges and won't just fill up a tank you give them. I may have to exchange my tank if I have no other option, but seeing as it's brand new I'd prefer to hold onto it. Also, what's the verdict on non-food grade CO2, like from a place like Dick's Sporting Goods? Does that pose a real health hazard?
Been there man... had a nice shiny new C02 tank i didn't want to swap.... i promise you- after you let it go, your life will get way easier. Gas is gas. But swapping your tanks at a national vendor that serves food grade C02 will be better for your beer.
I have never looked back or missed my shiny new tanks since.

Edit: ok gas is not gas per se... but for the sake of the OP's question i think we can leave the C02 purity debate for the other threads on it.
I prefer Airgas in my area as they only stock beverage grade C02. It depends- ask the guys, tell them it is for beer- they will help you.
But start swapping tanks... it makes life easier.

I'm in DC and I've settled on doing exchanges at MyLHBS in Seven Corners, VA. I used to try to hit the various independent gas shops in NE, but there was always a snag of some sort. "The guy that does that is actually out for lunch right now," seemed to be a popular response. That dude takes his lunches seriously and he seems to work in a lot of shops.

MyLHBS is a nice shop. They're friendly, the owner is quite knowledgeable, and they're serious about customer service--I've seen them handle some out of control muppets and I'm not sure how they manage to handle people like that with such grace, but they do it.

They did a great job keeping me going throughout the pandemic and I think they're worth checking out.

For the past 2 years there's an outfit in Laurel, on Rte. 1. They do refills, while you wait, but probably only at certain hours. So call them beforehand to get the lay of the land.
Not sure where they are located exactly, though... from what I heard it's nearby where Laurel Bottle & Gas used to be, but not the same building.

If you can't locate them, let me know, I can probably get the info from our club members or Maryland Homebrew.

Other avenues are fire protection agencies, call around. There's a large one on the south side of BWI, BPFE, they used to fill mine. Not sure what there policies are now, given the pandemic.

It was tough to give up that first new 5lb tank I bought. I've since bought another 5lb and a 20lb and just swap them.

Another benefit of just swapping tanks is you wont have to have your tank recertified every 5 years.

I use one of the big welding supply companies and they normally have a few good looking 5lb tanks to pick from. Just ask.
20lb tanks are normally beat up.

It was tough to give up that first new 5lb tank I bought. I've since bought another 5lb and a 20lb and just swap them.

Another benefit of just swapping tanks is you wont have to have your tank recertified every 5 years.
At least the OP can enjoy his shiny tank for 5 years, before he starts swapping.

The past few years I too have been exchanging the aluminum 20#, at Praxair for about $25. It's labeled "Beverage Grade."
One year the one Praxair outfit that's relatively nearby, had brand new shiny aluminum ones, so I enjoyed that look for a year. Then the next time, they only had old, heavy, rusty steel ones in the lot, so I thanked him and passed. Then swapped out aluminum for aluminum at one of their other locations.

Make note: Call ahead to check availability!

Depends on where in DC you are, there is Fire Protection Equipment & Services | Baltimore, MD in Leesburg. I got my 15# tank filled there...around $35 as I recall.

I have mostly swapped my 5# tank either at Robert's Oxygen (it is around $30, but they don't seem to worry about exchanging tanks that are out of date) or a few times at my Local HomeBrewshop in Falls Church.

For the past 2 years there's an outfit in Laurel, on Rte. 1. They do refills, while you wait, but probably only at certain hours. So call them beforehand to get the lay of the land.
Not sure where they are located exactly, though... from what I heard it's nearby where Laurel Bottle & Gas used to be, but not the same building.

If you can't locate them, let me know, I can probably get the info from our club members or Maryland Homebrew.

Other avenues are fire protection agencies, call around. There's a large one on the south side of BWI, BPFE, they used to fill mine. Not sure what there policies are now, given the pandemic.

It's Poist Gas now. They do refills at their plant on Rt 1 in Savage (Not to be confused with their retail store in Laurel). It looks pretty industrial when you pull up, but they're happy to help you if you walk up to their office.

Just down the road from Jailbreak Brewing too.

Well... all great points.
For me, getting my C02 at a Beverage Grade Supplier (airgas, praxair, etc.) with a tank exchange is far better than getting a shiny new tank filled with what could be a lesser grade C02 gas.
I am not saying it IS lesser grade gas at a welding shop or Fire Ext shop... but i know when i swap a cruddy* used tank at my local airgas, it IS marked "beverage grade".

*cruddy is not quite right. I always tell the service counter fellas it's for beer, and i always get a pretty nice lookin' tank. Ymmv.

Just my $0.02. I used to get refills for my first kegerator tank at a fire ext shop. Before i knew about potential grades of the gas.

Before i knew about potential grades of the gas.
From what I've read, here and elsewhere, all CO2 is the same, and sourced from... tada... fermentation! Alcohol fuel.
It's the tanks that are rated beverage grade, industrial, greenhouse, or whatever.

Depends on where in DC you are, there is Fire Protection Equipment & Services | Baltimore, MD in Leesburg. I got my 15# tank filled there...around $35 as I recall.

I have mostly swapped my 5# tank either at Robert's Oxygen (it is around $30, but they don't seem to worry about exchanging tanks that are out of date) or a few times at my Local HomeBrewshop in Falls Church.

+1 for Fireline in Leesburg. Just call before you go to ensure there is someone there to do the refill. Jacqueline typically takes care of the front of the shop and she is great to work with. And they do use Bev Grade CO2.

I was in the same boat as you. I bought a brand new 10# tank and did not want to let it go. It was $30 to have them refill the 10#. I happened to find a used 20# tank on Craiglist. It had an expired hydro, but since the tank came from Roberts Oxygen I was able to exchange it at their Sterling location for a full one for $32. Double the gas for $2 more. I also bought a fill transfer hose and fill my 10# with the 20#. This ensures I'm never out of CO2 and I can put a keg on gas before there is room in the fridge for it.

Fireline will also do the hydro test on my new tank when it needs it, but I might let it go for an exchange a Robert's Oxygen when that time comes. The exchange tanks from Robert's Oxygen have been in good shape.

Hope this helps.

~HopSing.

I'm in Leesburg too and use the same company. $25 for 5 lbs, ouch! Do you know if it is food grade? I guess I need to review the past threads on this subject and make a determination if that matters to me. I'm sure I'll have the same clarity as I had after reading all the secondary, no secondary threads! :)

Does Dick's refill tanks? If so, at what price?

BURP used to have a map on their site. It might not be working, or maybe I need to be a current member for it to work: CO2 Page – BURP
Dick’s in Leesburg no longer refills CO2. Dick’s, when they did do fills, only filled pin valve paintball tanks. As of late last fall the nearest Dick’s still filling paintball tanks is/was in Culpepper according to the Leesburg store.

Second vote for Poist in Savage. They’ll refill 5&10’s on the spot. I think (not sure) they exchange 20’s and that’s as big as they go. Good prices and not too far from MDHB, so I generally combine those trips.

Latest posts

Back