Any corny kegs with universal posts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any keg brands that use universal posts by default? I do a lot of brewing in kegs and end up using jumpers and what not. It would make things simpler if I had kegs with universal posts (posts that you can connect either a gas or liquid QD to). I realize I might be able to just attach $9 universal posts to my current kegs but my kegs have other issues and I don't want to throw good money after bad.

Just use the MFL QD's and it's no longer an issue. I put a length of tubing from the gas in post to a length of tubing into Starsan when filling a keg from fermenter now (closed system pressure transfer). IMO, it's a LOT easier than using barb fitted QDs.

I thought I had seen a Torpedo QD that worked on either post, but cannot find it now, so it could have not had enough sales to make it worth continuing.

Personally, I would NOT mess with the posts on the keg. It's significantly easier, and far cheaper, to simply use the QD needed for what you're doing. It also means you won't accidently put a gas line on a beer post down the road. Or the other way around and wonder why the beer refuses to flow. The beer MUST flow!

If that's what you want to do...then just use either all gas posts or all liquid posts and matching disconnects.

they are interchangeable. No difference except color and the size of the "lip". it's that way so you don't connect the wrong line to the wrong post by accident.

Thanks for the input, guys. I stayed away from the MFL's because of other people having issues with leaks. However, I could theoretically use barbed for my permanent gas and beer lines and MFL's for jumpers etc. And Odie, I've always been able to accidentally connect the QD to the wrong post haha. The only difference that I've seen so far is difficulty removing the QD when you do that.. :D But that's a good idea about swapping all posts so they're the same. I didn't realize the lip was the only difference

I've only ever had ONE MFL QD "leak" and I think it's just a flawed one. Don't remember where I got it, but I suspect it wasn't from one of the normal vendors I use (I'd need to look deeper). I have over a dozen of each plastic type, plus several stainless steel QDs that have zero leaks. Of course, the stainless require the same ferrule/washer/insert that you need to use when you connect beer nuts to fittings, but that's no issue (I have more than a few spare on hand). The plastic QDs don't require anything extra to be used to connect to beer nuts. DO be sure to use oetiker clamps on all your lines if you want zero leak chance though. I've had no end of leaks anytime I use worm clamps. Switched to oetiker clamps and those leaks never appears.

Personally, I like the additional flexibility using the MFL QDs provides. Of course I have plenty of 9/16" wrenches on hand to use for connecting them to beer nuts (gas or liquid). I even left one close to my keezer for use there (when needed).

IMO/IME, if you have leaks with the MFL types, you either got a bad ONE or you're doing something wrong.

If that's what you want to do...then just use either all gas posts or all liquid posts and matching disconnects.

they are interchangeable. No difference except color and the size of the "lip". it's that way so you don't connect the wrong line to the wrong post by accident.
I don't think this suggestion would work for all ball lock kegs. Firestone Challenger VI have different threads on the gas and liquid posts. Maybe a gas post with the same thread size as the liquid post could be found or vice-versa but that would be a bad idea as you might easily cross thread it.

I'd also recommend the flare threaded QD's. I haven't had any particular issues using them. You can get a leak on a barbed fitting too. Maybe just use them on your jumper as you said if still concerned.

Ditto this. I did put some universal posts on my kegs on gas in, but 'universal' isn't completely accurate... If there's one (more) thing I'd do differently it'd be to buy all identical MFL liquid connects and change out the gas posts on my kegs (for identical liquid posts) from the start. I use lots of jumpers for purging daisy chained kegs /bottling/ closed transfers, line cleaning etc and I was forever cutting tube off barbs to make something I was short of.

Never had an MFL leak, gas or liquid, but I use the nylon Oliver's as I'm always ss on ss (all nut and swivel barbails). Havent used the 8mm push connect FFLs but think they'd be easier again.

Last edited:
I don't think this suggestion would work for all ball lock kegs. Firestone Challenger VI have different threads on the gas and liquid posts.
now that you mention it...I think a couple of my odd-ball kegs are like that. I do believe I have one or two "Firestones" in the mix. Not fans of them but it's what was shipped to me.

Latest posts

Back