any body speak Gaelic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycov

Reaction score
any body here speak (and write) Gaelic? my brother and i wanna get a tattoo with some words in Gaelic. help me out if you can! thanks.

Used to know conversational Gaelic (Irish) and Scots Gaelic pretty well, though now I am only proficient in Old Irish. So unless you want something written in a language that was in use from 500-900AD, I can't help ya much. :cross:

i'll give it a shot and see what the letters look like together.

ok. let me tell you about the tattoo:
one druknen night my brother and i need a ride home and were arguing about who could get us one faster. i called my wife and said that we were going out to get tattoos that said, Oh Fu*k it's the Covingtons!. and she said, "Stay there! i'm coming to get you!" we thought it was funny and after a few more drunken nights decided it would be better as O'****itsthecovingtons. like all together one word was our last name (like O'Reily or O'donnel or whatever). so thats kinda what i'm lookin for. also i didn't know if the O' thing would carry over in Gaelic. like maybe they don't say oh ****. maybe its like ah ****. or something that wouldn't make sence with the O'. but if the joke did make sence in gaelic too, it would end up saying O'(**** its the(in gaelic)) covington's.

side note, i realize this is rediculous and know that i am a dumb ass, so while comments like that are welcome, they aren't necessary. and sorry ahead of time if its offensive to ask about cuss words or something stupid in gaelic.

yeah. i'm ok with having a stupid tattoo. i just don't want a wrong one. also i forgot to mention. the reason for the gaelic is i didn't want profanity written on me in english, so i can go to the beach of whatever and take my shirt off with out giving old ladies heart attacks. so if i get it in gaelic then i can tell people it means what ever i want. my brother and i are of irish decent and want to get the words on a shamrock (might think its cheesy, thats fine) and i figured gaelic fit the theme, and was obscure enough where its not gonna get my any dirty looks.

And we're having a discussion in another thread about misinformation, and you trust bunch of us who you don't really know to come up with something that you're going to have permanently etched on your body? :)

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode or something about this very thing?

Riiiiiight. You want a "honest" translation in Gaelic, which will likely come from a true born Scot?

I don't think this was completely thought through.

Enjoy your "Hairy Axe wound" rememberance tattoo's. :D:p

Riiiiiight. You want a "honest" translation in Gaelic, which will likely come from a true born Scot?

I don't think this was completely thought through.

Enjoy your "Hairy Axe wound" rememberance tattoo's. :D:p

well what did the irish speak?

And we're having a discussion in another thread about misinformation, and you trust bunch of us who you don't really know to come up with something that you're going to have permanently etched on your body? :)

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode or something about this very thing?

well i never claimed to be smart. and yeah, its not so much about trust, if you can convince me that its authentic, thats close enough:D. if i believe it thats what matters. besides, its not very likely that i'll ever come across someone that will be able to tell me its wrong. :p

You might want to take a hint from this site, Chinese Tattoos Gone Wrong

Example 1

vince-mattingley.jpg

Chinese Tattoos Gone Wrong
Posted by Khalid - December 3rd, 2007 - 8 Comments
Published in Articles, General, Tattoo Designs

Chinese tattoos are extremely fashionable lately and have become a first choice amongst the impressionable youth. If you are interested in Chinese culture and want to sport a tattoo that translates properly, you might want to consider trying to learn Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese both use the same characters)!
Example 1…

Vince Mattingley

Proud Vince Mattingley showed off his Chinese writing tattoo spelling his name for 26 years – until someone pointed out if actually spelt COCA-COLA.

Vince, 44, had the body art done after asking staff at his favourite Oriental restaurant to write his name in Chinese symbols. But a cheeky waiter drew the Coke words – and Vince had it etched on his chest.

coca-cola-can.jpg

Vince – who now works as a tattoo artist – never had an INK-ling he was a walking advert for more than a quarter of a century. It was only when he travelled to Thailand this year that a barman asked him why he had Coca-Cola written on his chest.

When I got my chinese tattoo - I first made sure it was what it was supposed to be. I asked the guy who custom made me some shoes in a tiny shop in Hong Kong :D

what does that mean? i used to work with a welsh guy. he spoke english though

I don't do Gaelic, but Welsh is a beautiful language. I would suggest:

Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyw waith i'w gyfiethu.

I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated.

Google translate FTW! Welsh drives me crazy. It's like they just make up the rules as they go along... well, yes NORMALLY the y would be pronounced oo but it's before an f so it gets pronounced ou except when it's after a w then it's more of an awh sound.

Terje

-yes I know those pronunciations are not correct but it's Welsh, who can really tell?

i'll give it a shot and see what the letters look like together.

ok. let me tell you about the tattoo:
one druknen night my brother and i need a ride home and were arguing about who could get us one faster. i called my wife and said that we were going out to get tattoos that said, Oh Fu*k it's the Covingtons!. and she said, "Stay there! i'm coming to get you!" we thought it was funny and after a few more drunken nights decided it would be better as O'****itsthecovingtons. like all together one word was our last name (like O'Reily or O'donnel or whatever). so thats kinda what i'm lookin for. also i didn't know if the O' thing would carry over in Gaelic. like maybe they don't say oh ****. maybe its like ah ****. or something that wouldn't make sence with the O'. but if the joke did make sence in gaelic too, it would end up saying O'(**** its the(in gaelic)) covington's.

side note, i realize this is rediculous and know that i am a dumb ass, so while comments like that are welcome, they aren't necessary. and sorry ahead of time if its offensive to ask about cuss words or something stupid in gaelic.

I'm not sure if this would work to be honest, but there is an Irish homebrew forum where you could check it out, www.beoir.org someone there is bound to have the necessary skills. It's a pretty fluent speaker you'd want to do something like that for you and have it work, my skills are no longer that good, fluency in that language was something I had in my school days. Nowadays I've lost most of it.

Nothing you'd want repeated in public.

nice!

I'm not sure if this would work to be honest, but there is an Irish homebrew forum where you could check it out, www.beoir.org someone there is bound to have the necessary skills. It's a pretty fluent speaker you'd want to do something like that for you and have it work, my skills are no longer that good, fluency in that language was something I had in my school days. Nowadays I've lost most of it.

and thanks!

Good luck. I've got my last name in Arabic tattooed on my arm but I read and speak it; that's the only reason I went ahead with it. I still think it's a interesting idea to get your name inked in Gaelic but just make sure you've got it right. There's absolutely no rush to do this and if it takes a year and you lose interest then maybe you didn't want the tattoo that badly to begin with.

yeah. i'm not rushing into it. i want to get one, but i'm not dying to. and if this ends up not working out, thats fine too. i can always get something else. it was just a thought, and this is the only forum i'm a member of so i thought i'd ask here. but this won't be the only research i do before i get something (even though its dumb already) tattooed on me forever. thanks a bunch guys!

yeah. i'm not rushing into it. i want to get one, but i'm not dying to. and if this ends up not working out, thats fine too. i can always get something else. it was just a thought, and this is the only forum i'm a member of so i thought i'd ask here. but this won't be the only research i do before i get something (even though its dumb already) tattooed on me forever. thanks a bunch guys!

I am not saying it's a dumb idea. Never meant to imply that. Just a juvinile cautioning so's you don;t end up being the coca-cola guy, or worse. Most all of the Irish/Scots i have had the pleasure to know were pretty twisted.

no. i wasn't taking offense, i was saying it was dumb. O'****itstheCovington's ?don't tell me its not dumb. yeah, i thought about the twisted sense of humor from the irish too:D thats why i'm gonna end up having to get more than one source, to see if any of them match up, or are they all just telling me what they think would be funny.

Back