Anvil Stainless Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They closed at noon on Friday . I probably won't hear back till tomorrow. I got 4 that all looked good but for the issue at the bottom. If they opt for a refund ill likely go with the chapman. Nicer valve. I figured a used chest freezer and controller would be cheaper than a glycol setup or two of those brew jacket chillers.
I'm sure I'll hear from them tomorrow as well.

Even a DIY glycol setup would run $200-250- I've never done it but looking at video's doesn't seem to be too difficult.

As for the chapman, I wonder at what volume the valve is located. Looks to be 1 gal. Not sure how it works with yeast/trub/hop crap getting in the port. At least it's a straight shot and could use something metal to clear anything that gets clogged.

There is a seller on Ebay selling the 7 gal ported for $135 w/free shipping. The add doesn't show the valve is included although it is pictured. I just have an issue ordering something like this from Ebay if there is a problem and need to return. And the barb isn't included with the chapman.

Most of the other online retailers don't have these fermenters in stock, all drop shipped from Chapman, which kinda sucks since that adds to the processing/shipping time. Also, I would be concerned if the gasket needs to be replaced on the lid. I'm sure that would have to come from a Chapman vendor. Maybe these are non issues but it's something I think about.

The SSBT is a bit more $$$ than the Chapman and the Anvil but I also feel it is a better product.
$200 includes shipping, and if you are military they offer a discount as well.

I like the valve and rotating arm on the SSBT, and the lid is predrilled for a stopper. My only real complaint is that the lid hole is 17mm which is to small for normal 1/2 fittings.

I will be racking out of it next week, so I will have more information...also for $17 it can be pressure transfer ready...

T

The SSBT is a bit more $$$ than the Chapman and the Anvil but I also feel it is a better product.
$200 includes shipping, and if you are military they offer a discount as well.

I like the valve and rotating arm on the SSBT, and the lid is predrilled for a stopper. My only real complaint is that the lid hole is 17mm which is to small for normal 1/2 fittings.

I will be racking out of it next week, so I will have more information...also for $17 it can be pressure transfer ready...

T
When you say pressure transfer ready are you referring to the 90 degree SS elbow SSBT lists on their site? It's listed as a blow off deal but I see no reason why it couldn't be used for pressure transfers.
I do like the ability to add the cooling coils, although a bit expensive but still cheaper than a conical or unitank.

When you say pressure transfer ready are you referring to the 90 degree SS elbow SSBT lists on their site? It's listed as a blow off deal but I see no reason why it couldn't be used for pressure transfers.
I do like the ability to add the cooling coils, although a bit expensive but still cheaper than a conical or unitank.

Indeed, you can slide a hose inside the Barb to push CO2

The SS looks nice , probably the best bucket fermenter but costs 50% more. I need 2 for 10+ gallon batches. $400. They do have a 14 gallon version but its almost as much at $370. I'll keep that one in mind but still a big jump in price

Coolzone does make velcro cooling jackets that will work with a chiller a person could build for like 75 bucks from a craigslist window ac unit.. jackets are way better that the coils I have both including a 14 gallon so brew tech with the coil and I only use it if all my other conicals are filled.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I am not advocating for one over another, just wanted to share my wxexperien so far.

Next week when I transfer things my go wrong and my opinion may change

In the end, we just have to be have with the gear, no matter the cost

Still waiting on a reply from Anvil. Emails sent Friday/Sat/Wednesday and still no reply.
Going to give until noon today then will call. Tired of messing with this company.
Going to go with either the SSBT or Chapman. Haven't made up my mind.

I didn't get a response from Anvil. They probably have a lot of emails now & realize they have a production problem, not a one-off issue. I contacted AIHB where I ordered and am sending them back for a refund. I'll might suffer extra expense for ss 14 gallon fermentor or possibly the chapman 14.

Still no email so decided to call the number on the web site. Unable to get a "live" person so left a voice mail message. Terrible customer service IMO.

Still no email so decided to call the number on the web site. Unable to get a "live" person so left a voice mail message. Terrible customer service IMO.
And I'm guessing the site has no online chat service? I'm close to ordering the 4 gallon fermenter, but this thread has me having second thoughts :( I love my 7 gallon SS Brewbucket, but the 3.5 gallon mini seems a bit too small for half batches. I know I could use the BB, but I don't like all of that headspace if I want to dryhop or add additions.

Finally received a reply. States holiday weekend had them behind.
Anyways, they are supposed to credit my card and send me a label to return.
Now it's to decide if I want to go with the SSBT or Chapman.

And I'm guessing the site has no online chat service? I'm close to ordering the 4 gallon fermenter, but this thread has me having second thoughts :( I love my 7 gallon SS Brewbucket, but the 3.5 gallon mini seems a bit too small for half batches. I know I could use the BB, but I don't like all of that headspace if I want to dryhop or add additions.

No Chat feature.

Hard to believe that some of their fermenters are OK if they came from the same batch/manufacturing process/manufacturer. My guess is some aren't as picky as others.

I think some of the scratches could come out with some sand paper but I didn't feel like I wanted to do that. Maybe the scratches wouldn't affect anything. I didn't want to take a chance.

You could take a chance and if it's not to your satisfaction request a refund. They take in excess of 48 hrs (business) to reply.

No Chat feature.

Hard to believe that some of their fermenters are OK if they came from the same batch/manufacturing process/manufacturer. My guess is some aren't as picky as others.

I think some of the scratches could come out with some sand paper but I didn't feel like I wanted to do that. Maybe the scratches wouldn't affect anything. I didn't want to take a chance.

You could take a chance and if it's not to your satisfaction request a refund. They take in excess of 48 hrs (business) to reply.
Yeah--I'm not going to keep it if I have to sand it down. If I get one, I'll cross my fingers it's not in that problem batch.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Anvil, but after reading through this thread I changed my mind. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash for the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket. I haven't read anything negative about them regarding manufacturing issues. Now, I need to decide if I want to spend even more cash on the one with the digital temperature probe. I do like the idea of pressure transferring since this will save me some lifting.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Anvil, but after reading through this thread I changed my mind. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash for the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket. I haven't read anything negative about them regarding manufacturing issues. Now, I need to decide if I want to spend even more cash on the one with the digital temperature probe. I do like the idea of pressure transferring since this will save me some lifting.
I'm leaning towards the SSBT as well. Mainly for the expandability. At $50 the pressure transfer parts are a bit steep but I may try the 90 degree elbow as I've seen people use it to do pressure transfers. That would help not having to lift the bucket out of the ferm chamber to do transfers.

Its steep slope of "while im at it"... You might find by the time your done rationalizing things to yourself the saving vs a real conical can become a moot point..

Debating returning mine, but will probably end up keeping it. It's currently being used in a test batch. Probably would not have bought it if i had known ahead of time that this batch was going to be almost universally defective.

Id like to point out that their hasnt been a single actual bit of evidence these machining marks have any actual effect of the real function of these. and they are about the most Economical stainless fermentors out there...
the following is just my opinion after a few beers so please dont get too offended but,

If even the bargain hunters start getting overly picky it just means the price goes up for everyone including those who want it for functional reasons over cosmetic ones. The whole point of anvil is for blichmann to sell lower cost economical chinese made stuff to those that wont pay for the premium blichmann name made to higher standard by different manufacturers whether needed or not. (like Audi vs VW or more realistically an american buick vs rebranded Chevy deawoo product like the spark or malibu were function has priorities over other things such as status and bling were spare money justifies it ).. There is going to be expected tradeoffs. Who cares if is doesnt effect function? if you want bling on the inside as well as outside then pay more... Im sorry if im offending people but seriously you are demanding they retool here which will most likey effect future cost everyone for no reason other than you want complete smooth finish inside where a ring wont matter not even considering it might bite everyone else in the ass who doesnt care about what they consider petty imperfections. I can tell you as someone whos been brewing for a while what you complaining about is really a NON issue but it would likely not matter. for what its worth.... This wont cause any infection issues unless you do a really poor job of cleaning and sanitizing. With this fermenter you still get all the advantages some claim are superior to plastic so whats the difference. :) the whole point of stainless bragging rights is scratches can be easily removed. and its realistically still more sanitary and easier to clean than the weldless fittings on an SS brew bucket to save manufacturing costs so whats the difference really?

Last edited:
These grooves are clearly sufficiently deep to risk harboring yeast and bacteria, and as far as I know, were not present in previous batches. You don't need to wait for infection to act on that information. Mine also has the added defect of a bent port hole, so there are clearly other problems in their general QC process.

If it can't be sold for the price without a little elbow grease to fix, it should either be advertised as requiring the user to touch it up, or it should cost a few bucks more. I would have gladly paid an extra $5-10 for a product with better finish and quality control, considering the next most comparable option is $40-70 more expensive.

I have a couple of 7g anvils from earlier this year and I’ve run a few batches through them. I just checked for s&g’s and they both have grooves down around where the wall mates with the bottom. I can feel the grooves with my fingernail.

However, I have not had an infection as a result. All my beers that came out of them were just fine. After fermentation, I pbw and wipe around with sponge, rinse and then star San. Right before I use again, I rinse out with warm water and rinse again with star San and fill with wort. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

The warpage of the ball valve hole? Yes, obvious defect. But look at what you’re paying for a SS fermenter.

Are you expecting Mercedes quality at a Hyundai price? My Hyundai seems to work just fine and produces great beer.

Am I going to take sandpaper and try to correct it? No. Because I’ve used them over and over and I have not had an infection.

Honestly, I think people get infections because of poor sanitization, plain and simple...user error.

If I buy a new Hyundai, I expect it to not have a bunch of deep scratches on it.
the finish of the product was otherwise ok. I wasn't expecting a mirror polish at this price. the Chapman has a very smooth finish at the same price point though.

Last edited:
The Chapman looks like a nice unit too. But it doesn’t have a conical bottom to collect trub and be able to rack off the beer with the rotating racking arm. I can usually rack off about 98% of my beer.

In the end, you have to go with what works for you. I’m sure the Chapman ferments a good beer too. So does the ssbt. So does a spike conical. But there is one universal fact, they’re all more expensive than the anvil.

Keep calm and beer on!

If I buy a new Hyundai, I expect it to not have a bunch of deep scratches on it.
the finish of the product was otherwise ok. I wasn't expecting a mirror polish at this price. the Chapman has a very smooth finish at the same price point though.
Fair enough, they are not scratches though.. I though we are taking about rings from the machining process. a more comparable comparison would be the severe orange peal surface of the cheap paint job on a cheap economy car vs a more expensive vehicle.. my point is the fit and finish is usually not as good but it doesnt effect function in those cases.

All valid points but I side with Wesbrew & Shoo. I wasn't expecting SSBT, Spike or Stout quality but I didn't want scratches deep enough to catch a fingernail when passing over. For the most part, I'm sure there would have been no issues but I didn't want to take a chance.

FWIW, if I had bought a Hyundai or any other vehicle that had a scratch or whatever in the paint, then the dealership would have taken it back for repair. Same with the Anvil.

My refund has been processed from Anvil and I'm moving on.

Well I would just like to point out, so as not to deter other people from buying an anvil. But the machining marks, which I have and can be felt with a fingernail, do not, I repeat, do not cause any problems in fermentation. I have used mine over and over and I have not had one infection.

If you get an infection, then it’s caused by user error and not taking the proper precaution in cleaning and sanitizing. It’s not the equipment.

This is not speculation and what could happen. This is a fact. If you properly clean and sanitize your equipment, the chances that an infection will be caused by equipment is zilch.

In my opinion, the anvil fermenter is the best bang for your buck if you’re looking for a SS fermenter.

I thought it was a pretty cool fermentor. The machining marks are a manufacturing defect though, you don't see that on any Chinese kettles. if you choose to take your chances and just scrub hard, thats ok. but if you ruin a batch...I would at least sand it down so it can't be a problem.

I'm considering one of the keg fermentors out there as well as the other ss fermentors mentioned earlier in the thread. If Anvil takes care of that issue I wouldn't dissuade anyone from getting one and might get one myself.

I thought it was a pretty cool fermentor. The machining marks are a manufacturing defect though, you don't see that on any Chinese kettles. if you choose to take your chances and just scrub hard, thats ok. but if you ruin a batch...I would at least sand it down so it can't be a problem.
Again it's not necessarily a defect if it doesn't affect its function. If you look inside of some kettles, they have the same type of Marks just like a stainless steel pipe nipple might have machining marks on it or anything else that's meant for function and Not cosmetic perfection a plastic pail often has a small plastic piece or mark in the center of the inside of the bottom from the manufacturing process but it's not a defect, it's just not economically justified to remove it for no gain. If never gotten an infection from fermenting in a bucket because of it either.

It was not what I would consider cosmetic scuffs and machining marks. maybe you are right and It wont cause any issue. Doesn't matter. they weren't agreeable to my offer so I sent them back. Like i said its otherwise a nice fermentor at the price. The rotating arm was a nice touch that the chapman doesn't have.

I was back and forth on these and the Chapman I just ordered 2 of the Anvil's from AIH they gave me a $50 in store gift card (points special this week) for this order so I look at is as I paid $104 each and for that if I have to spend 10 minutes sanding I don't care it is way less time then I would spend cleaning a glass carboy, which is 1 thing I am trying to get away from and the smell factor of my plastic fermenters I never got around I only use them if I have to and trust me they sit in star san and BTF iodophor before use and I am still not happy about it. My expectations for these vessels are they will be easy and fast to clean, I will easily be able to take samples to check gravity, they will last me a lifetime other than gaskets. With the Anvil I get a little more head space, a slight cone bottom and the rotating racking arm so it was hard for the Chapman to compete with that for what I paid.

I received 2 of these Friday when I got home from work they were waiting for me I had them in 4 or 5 days from AIH much faster than they indicated. Neither of mine have the scratches/pitting on the side however you can clearly see the marks from them being sanded out so it looks like Anvil is has started to correct that concern. The lids the sharp inlet for the bung seems to have been corrected as well both of mine are nice. The ring at the bottom I have 1 fermenter with it and 1 without, I will grind the ring out I was just anxious to get these filled this weekend and try them out. 1 fermenter had a clamp that did not grab to well I noticed this when my airlock was not going crazy within 12 hours I found 1 clamp grabbed but did not apply to much pressure I gave it a small bend and wallah airlock was like a machine gun I have not seen that concern reported yet. The gaskets I intend to order a few replacement sets just to have them around they seem like they will wear around the racking arm over time and we all know problems occur at the worst possible times. Total time to assemble the unit after sanitation takes maybe a minute so I am glad to say the chore I hate most just got a lot easier cleaning these things will save you a lot of time if you use glass currently and no stank like plastic. I am very happy with these I am going to buy another set after the holidays are done milking my pockets.

Received mine today. Issue with welds and unfinished edges seem to have been addressed. No issues whatsoever with mine.

However, I can confirm the volume markings are off by about 3 cups. That seems to be the volume of liquid that fills the cone at the base. If the base was flat, the volume markings would be correct. As a matter of fact the spacing between tick marks matches my measuring cup exactly. I need 4 gallons + 20-24oz of water to reach the 4 gallon mark, but one gallon of water added to that volume brings it up to 5 as you would expect (though, of course the TOTAL volume in the fermenter is 5 gallons + 20 or so ounces from the cone area). Not sure why they did not account for the volume in the domed part, but there you have it.

Not really happy with mine...
Hard to get a good picture but both of mine have major bad welds all around the inside. Not just marks, but big gaping/cavernous bad welds.
I bought them and didn't do an inspection, OR use them, until I was a few months beyond warranty.
All they said was "try sanding them"
So that's what I will try...

Attachments

• 0426191257.jpg
    0426191257.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Back