Another Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
Double coil immersion chiller.
Need to add a pre chiller for when wort drops to 120 deg.

DSC08765.jpg

DSC08872.jpg

Looks good, I have 50 feet of copper in the garage, I want to do the double coil design as well. Do I see stainless steel plates holding the coils apart? Nice idea! What size is your pot and what size batches you do?

Looks good, I have 50 feet of copper in the garage, I want to do the double coil design as well. Do I see stainless steel plates holding the coils apart? Nice idea! What size is your pot and what size batches you do?

Thanks,
I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum flat bar for the separators. Also short brackets of the same material at the bottom to keep the center coil centered.
I brew 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon turkey fryer adapted with a sight glass and stainless ball valve.

DSC08579.jpg

DSC08581.jpg

Shhh......... Don't say that too loud! Do you have any idea what that stuff is worth!! Are you sure it's still there? You should keep it in the safe............

What's your address by the way ;-)

H.W.

Shhh......... Don't say that too loud! Do you have any idea what that stuff is worth!! Are you sure it's still there? You should keep it in the safe............

H.W.

Haha, very far away! I bought a roll last week to make an I but work has been a bit hectic... have been invisioning one like OP, minus the SS bar

H.W.

Haha, very far away! I bought a roll last week to make an IC but work has been a bit hectic... have been invisioning one like OP, minus the SS bar, and I have my bat ready for the guy who wants to steal my imersion chiller to be :D

Thanks,
I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum flat bar for the separators. Also short brackets of the same material at the bottom to keep the center coil centered.
I brew 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon turkey fryer adapted with a sight glass and stainless ball valve.

Very nice! Thanks for the pics, very informative. Looking really good! :D

I imagine you could just snake the tube through the flat plate after looping the copper. Think of putting a key on a key chain ring.

How did you get the tubing fished through the flat bar?

After the coils were made I threaded the bottom hole of the separator over the open tube at the top of the coil. Then pulled it on around and threaded through the second hole and around and so on.
After all the bars are in then you can solder on the fittings. The holes in the bars are not all drilled the same. They are offset slightly so the bottoms are all at the same level. I drew it all up in AutoCad which took all the guess work out of it. You don't need to draw it up, that's just me, I like to draw out everything.

Back