Another water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenugsmoustache

Reaction score
Hi all I just got my Ward Labs water report and I am still a total newb when it comes to brewing water. So if someone could chime in if they see any issues with my water and ways to remedy. Thanks guys!

pH 7.1

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 142

Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.24

Cations / Anions, me/L 3.0 / 3.0

ppm

Sodium, Na 9

Potassium, K < 1

Calcium, Ca 30

Magnesium, Mg 13

Total Hardness, CaCO3 129

Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)

Sulfate, SO4-S 1

Chloride, Cl 3

Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0

Bicarbonate, HCO3 172

Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 141

Total Phosphorus, P 0.08

Total Iron, Fe 0.04

Others that know a lot more about water can chime in but to me it looks like you will need to add some calcium. The amount will depend on the beer but at the very least you should be around 50. Some beers (like IPAs) you would want more. You will most likely also need to add some type of acid to bring down your mash pH. That will depend on the beer as darker beers bring mash pH down and may bring you in line.

Check out Bru'n Water. It is very easy to use and will give you an idea of what you need to do. A couple grams of some type of calcium and a couple mL of lactic acid or a small amount of acid malt should be just fine. But again, use Bru'n Water as each beer will be different.

Side note, your ion balance looks spot on which is always good to see on a water report.

Back