Another VA brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. Figured I'd post. I have been on these boards lurking for a long time. Eventually made an account. Now I figured I'd do my intro.

I started homebrewing, wow, 15 years ago. It was a couple years prior to me entering the Air Force. Sounds like a long time, but I do not have a relative number of batches under my belt. Maybe I averaged at best 2 a year prior to 2009. I didn't brew for some time after I entered, and then sporadically. But since I moved to VA, I have become determined to get more involved. Brewed 5 batches in the last 15 months, so things are looking up :)

I can't recall how I found out about homebrewing or why I did it. Just an enthisiastic/ curious 20 something looking for something to do I guess. I do recall making my first batch from a Midwest kit, basic pale ale. I served it to a buddy of mine and he loved it. For my second batch I was trying to make a stout. There was no LHBS, so I went to a local brewery and bought extract from them. Sadly I don't think they are around anymore. Anyhow, I didn't know what I was doing making my own recipe, and used ALL chocolate and dark malts. I wanted a stout, right?. LOL, I recall the guy at the brewery being a smart ass saying "let me know how it turns out" with what I thought was a 'tone'. Well I can laugh now. But in fact I never drank one of those. I had a massive infection in the bottles.

Currently have a Scottish IPA in the secondary. I know, sounds contradictory right? But it is inspired by Deuchar's IPA (made by Caledonian Brewery) I had at the Caledonian Ale House in Edinburgh. It was a double take beer. As in I looked at the beer to locate it and bring it my lips, looked at my wife as she was talking to me, took a sip, then whipped my head to look at it (the second look aka double take) as I was exposed to the most delicious thing I have ever drank in my life. Which I may add is how I found these forums, looking for a clone recipe.

Well this is getting long, so I'll close it out with a Hello and thanks for an incedible website.

Wig

Thanks. If it turns out I'll definetly post it under my recipes. This is my 3rd attempt. It just went into the secondary yesterday. I already know 2 changes I will make for the next time. I had no scottish ale yeast (I tried to harvest from the last batch, but I either messed it up or didn't give them enough time in the starter), and couldn't get down to the LHBS, so I used some packs of Windsor I had. I'll get proper yeast next time.

Also, I added a lot of late/0 minute hops, but didn't get much aroma when I sampled it going into the secondary. When it was going nuts fermenting, there was a lot of hop aroma coming out. I am thinking I lost some of it. So I will probably dry hop in the secondary next time. I want it to turn out so bad...

Next beer on the schedule is a Foreign Extra Stout. Maaaybe I can squeeze in another batch after that - after March my time gets tight until December.

Back