Another reason why homebrewing is cool....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So today I had a DirecTV install (I've had DTV for years--just got a TIVO for the upstairs bedroom) and the installer saw my carboys sitting outside, and heard me talking to Ale from HBA on the phone while I was placing an order for a Beer gun, and he started asking questions about my brewing. I asked him if we wanted a sample of the brews I had on tap. He looked at me like "Is a frog's ass watertight"? So I brought a sampler glass of the Fat Tire and the smoked porter. He was in love with the smoked porter. He kept raving about it for the rest of the install. So halfway through this, the doorbell rings, its the UPS man bringing my Glacier and Phoenix hops. He asks the same question--"Dude (yes he actually called me dude ;) ) do you really homebrew?" So I said yeah and told him to come in for a sample. He declined of course but stayed there and BS'ed with me about it for another 5 minutes. He said he was always interested in brewing and might try it out.

Anyway...I'm rambling, but it was pretty cool to recruit 2 prospective brewers in less than a half hour. :D

I once held a college chick selling Orkin inspections enraptured for like 5 minutes while I was brewing out in front of the house. My rugged good looks and boyish charm certainly didn't hurt, either. :D

She was fascinated, although I suspect she might have thought that I was actually cooking up a batch of crank.

Sam75 said:
I once held a college chick selling Orkin inspections enraptured for like 5 minutes while I was brewing out in front of the house. My rugged good looks and boyish charm certainly didn't hurt, either. :D

She was fascinated, although I suspect she might have thought that I was actually cooking up a batch of crank.

That or she was just looking for free beer.. Whores

XTrmXJ said:
Sam, I would of at least **** ** *** ***. Looser :D
hahaha, o man, genius!

Back to the topic at hand...I've pretty much gotten all of my friends enthralled with the idea of homebrewing. All it took was a sample of my IPA and they wouldnt stop asking questions, actually got a "homebrewing party" coming up. Basically gonna drink and replenish the supply at the same time.

All the guys at work are calling my house a beer resort, everyone always wants to come over and taste beer as soon as I get it on tap or always asking the next time Ill be brewing...

XTrmXJ said:
All the guys at work are calling my house a beer resort, everyone always wants to come over and taste beer as soon as I get it on tap or always asking the next time Ill be brewing...

rockin.gif

Sam75 said:

Enraptured? Bound with a length of siphon tubing? What's the difference? Heh heh! ;)

Yeah, my very first batch was good but not as good as what I make now. I had some friends over to try it out and it was the same story - couldn't stop talking about it. And that was my poor first effort! Now sometimes at parties someone I've never even talked to about it will walk up to me and say, "Hey, I heard you make your own beer. Cool!"

The thing is, it doesn't matter how many times I tell them that it's simple. They're all too intimidated by the process to even give it a try. Consequently they think I'm some kind of brewing genius - which is very far from the truth.

AHU

There is definately a mystique related to brewing. I think most of it comes from the fact that most people have had a nasty HB at one time or another and are totally blown away when they get a good one.
Brewing has certianly brought the barter system back into my life as well. Everyone wins when the payment is beer. They get to drink, and I get to brew and drink! :)

I agree with that! I just bartered all of my brother's old brewing equipment for some of my HB (he no longer has enough time). It's a win win!!

mmditter said:
There is more than one good reason to do homebrewing!? Blow my mind! I thought the only reason was to have a way to get cheap beer. I never realized it could be a cool thing to do. :cool:

Cheap beer, how is your homebrew cheaper then 8.99 for a case of Shlitz?

loopmd said:
Cheap beer, how is your homebrew cheaper then 8.99 for a case of Shlitz?

LME in bulk: $55 for 30 lbs. You need $10 worth.
Hops in bulk: $11 for 1 lb. You need only $2 or $3 worth.
Dry yeast: $0.75 cents/packet. You need $1.50 worth.

TOTAL PRICE FOR MATERIALS: about $15.

That'll make 5 gallons (or about 50 bottles).

Price for a case of this beer = $7.20

So you are making beer that consists of 5.46 lbs lme, 4.4 oz of hops and 2 packages of yeast?

You forgot the startup costs with things like bottles, kegs, buckets, cappers, lifetime membership to homebrewtalk.

yeah, that's about right for my house brown ale, except I only use 2 oz of hops, and I throw in a lb of grain (@ about $1.50/lb).

-walker

Walker said:
LME in bulk: $55 for 30 lbs. You need $10 worth.
Hops in bulk: $11 for 1 lb. You need only $2 or $3 worth.
Dry yeast: $0.75 cents/packet. You need $1.50 worth.

TOTAL PRICE FOR MATERIALS: about $15.

That'll make 5 gallons (or about 50 bottles).

Price for a case of this beer = $7.20

Sleeping in your own vitamin B complex-rich vomit = Priceless!

Walker said:
yeah, that's about right for my house brown ale, except I only use 2 oz of hops, and I throw in a lb of grain (@ about $1.50/lb).

-walker

I should be clear, though.. I don't yet buy my hops in bulk. I was just showing you that it IS possible to make it for under $9/case.

-walker

loopmd said:
You forgot the startup costs with things like bottles, kegs, buckets, cappers, lifetime membership to homebrewtalk.

ahh. but these things are re-usable and over the course of years of brewing, their cost becomes negligible.

Don't start with me on this one. I'm notorious for being a cheap-skate with my brewing. :D

-walker

Walker said:
ahh. but these things are re-usable and over the course of years of brewing, their cost becomes negligible.

Don't start with me on this one. I'm notorious for being a cheap-skate with my brewing. :D

-walker

You and I need to gang up on SWMBO sometime, there's strength in numbers. (and get your mind out of the gutter on this one):D

Back